Mobile cloud storage
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mobile cloud storage is a form of cloud storage that is accessible on mobile devices such as laptops, tablets, and smartphones. Mobile cloud storage providers offer services that allow the user to create and organize files, folders, music, and photos, similar to other cloud computing modals. Services are used by both individuals and companies. Most cloud file storage providers offer limited free use and charge for additional storage once the free limit is exceeded. These costs are usually charged as a monthly subscription rate and have different rates depending on the amount of storage desired.
Some mobile device manufacturers include mobile cloud storage apps with their product. These apps facilitate synchronization of user files across multiple platforms. Part of the process for setting up new mobile devices frequently includes configuring a cloud storage service to Backup the device's files and information. Apple iOS devices come pre-loaded and configured to use Apple's mobile cloud storage service iCloud. Google offers a similar feature with the Android operating system by backing up the device using a Google Drive account. The Samsung Galaxy smartphone has partnered with Dropbox, while Microsoft similarly offers Microsoft OneDrive.
- Chickowski, Ericka (2012). Enterprise Dropbox Envy: Nasuni Rolls Out Mobile Cloud Storage Option. Network Computing. URL: http://www.networkcomputing.com/cloud-storage/enterprise-dropbox-envy-nasuni-rolls-out/240007678
- Funambol, Hal S. (2012). The Cloud Storage Services Battle: What Every Mobile Provider Should Know. Wireless Week. URL: http://www.wirelessweek.com/Articles/2012/05/Cloud-Storage-Service-Battle/
- Kovar, Joseph F. (2012). CTERA Intros Mobile Cloud Storage Apps For Secure File Access (Press release). CRN News, Analysis, and Perspective for VARS and Technology Integrators. URL: http://www.crn.com/news/storage/232800358/ctera-intros-mobile-cloud-storage-apps-for-secure-file-access.htm
- Mearian, Lucas (2012). Mobile devices bring cloud storage – and security risks – to work. Computerworld – Consumerization of IT. URL: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9227888/Mobile_devices_bring_cloud_storage_and_security_risks_to_work
- Moltzen, Edward F. (2012). Mobile Device Cloud Storage: We take Six Services For A Drive. CRN News, Analysis, and Perspective for VARS and Technology Integrators. URL: http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/cloud/232600955/mobile-device-cloud-storage-we-take-six-services-for-a-drive.htm
- Paul, Ian (2012). Top 15 Cloud Storage Tips and Tasks. PCWorld. http://www.pcworld.com/article/255072/top_15_cloud_storage_tips_and_tasks.html