This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018)
A mobile network operator, also known as a wireless service provider, wireless carrier, cellular company, or mobile network carrier, is a provider of wireless communications services that owns or controls all the elements necessary to sell and deliver services to an end user, including radio spectrum allocation, wireless network infrastructure, back haul infrastructure, billing, customer care, provisioning computer systems, and marketing and repair organizations.
In addition to obtaining revenue by offering retail services under its own brand, a mobile network operator may also sell access to network services at wholesale rates to mobile virtual network operators.
A key defining characteristic of a mobile network operator is that a mobile network operator must own or control access to a radio spectrum license from a regulatory or government entity. A second key defining characteristic of a mobile network operator is that it must own or control the elements of the network infrastructure necessary to provide services to subscribers over the licensed spectrum.
A mobile network operator typically also has the necessary provisioning, billing, and customer care computer systems and the marketing, customer care, and engineering organizations needed to sell, deliver, and bill for services. However, a mobile network operator can outsource any of these systems or functions and still be considered a mobile network operator.
List of operators
- List of telephone operating companies
- Mobile phone operator
- Mobile virtual network operator
- Telephone company
- Mazalov, Vladimir; Lukyanenko, Andrey; Gurtov, Andrei (30 October 2019). "Location–Price Competition in Mobile Operator Market". International Game Theory Review. 21 (3): 2. doi:10.1142/S0219198918500159. S2CID 158860971. Retrieved 4 August 2020.
- Ivo Vegter (4 July 2018). "Why a wireless open-access network won't work". Daily Maverick. Archived from the original on 2022-04-10.
- "MVNO | Glossary". GMS Worldwide. Archived from the original on May 21, 2022. Retrieved 4 August 2020.