Mocha Uson Blog
Mocha Uson Blog logo
Type of site
|Facebook Page / Blog|
|Available in||English, Filipino|
|Created by||Mocha Uson|
mocha.com.ph (Blog site)
|Users||5.4 million followers|
|Launched||Blog site: 2006|
|Current status||Facebook: Active|
Blog site: Defunct
Mocha Uson Blog (stylized as MOCHA USON BLOG) is a blog maintained in a Facebook page of the same name which serves as a political advocacy page for supporters of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte. It is run by dancer and stalwart Duterte supporter Mocha Uson. It previously served as a Facebook page counterpart of the Mocha Girls' website before the latter went defunct.
The Mocha Uson Blog previously concentrated on giving sex-related tips or advice. It also featured 'sessions in the bedroom' with her all-female group, the Mocha Girls. According to her, it later became a platform for Filipinos to express their concerns which are relayed by Mocha to the national government. The page became an online political advocacy tool by Uson to promote the 2016 presidential campaign of Rodrigo Duterte and by October 2016 most of the sex-themed videos hosted by the page were already deleted but copies remain accessible through other non-related YouTube accounts.
The Facebook page's followers increased to 4 million after Uson became a vocal supporter of President Rodrigo Duterte. According to Uson, the Facebook page had "quite a number of followers" before she became a public supporter of Duterte.
When then President-elect Duterte decided to boycott mainstream media organizations, Uson declared support for Duterte and managed to secure an exclusive interview with Duterte in June 2016. Videos of the interview were posted at the Mocha Uson Blog page.
Mocha Uson Blog, aside from being hosted in a Facebook page, had a separate blog site which was hosted at https://mocha.com.ph/. But by October 2016, the blog site only hosted external links to accounts managed by Mocha Uson including the Mocha Uson Blog Facebook page. By February 2017, blog site is already defunct.
|Developer(s)||Cloud Panda PH|
1.2 / 2 November 2017
|Operating system||iOS, Android|
Prior to the time Uson became a public supporter of Rodrigo Duterte, the page focused on her giving sex advice to followers and bedroom sessions with her group, the Mocha Girls.
The page currently hosts content related to President Rodrigo Duterte since Duterte ran for President. In the Mocha Uson Blog, Uson has shared memes favoring Duterte and critical of the President's critics especially Senators Leila De Lima and Antonio Trillanes IV. Uson also coined the termed "Presstitute" to protest against alleged corruption of mainstream media groups in the Philippines such as ABS-CBN, GMA-7, the Philippine Daily Inquirer, and Rappler. Uson also shares links to other Duterte political advocacy pages and blogs through the page.
The mobile application version of the app developed by Cloud Panda PH Inc. allows users to post videos, text, and videos as well as access features such as Mocha TV, DDS Podcast, and OFW Help.
In August 2018, a video uploaded by Mocha Uson Blog featuring a blogger named Drew Olivar and Mocha Uson herself garnered nationwide attention and criticism. The live video, dubbed as "Pepedederalismo" by the media, has been criticized for being lewd and obscene. In the video, a segment featured Olivar dancing in sexually-suggestive manners by repeatedly touching his crotch and chest areas while singing lyrics about "pepederalismo", a portmanteau of federalism and the colloquial terms for vagina (pepe) and breasts (dede). Mocha Uson, the owner of the blog and the video is quick to defend her side that there is "nothing wrong with the video" which she said was meant to generate conversation among Filipinos about the concept of federalism. She maintains that the jingle is not part of the government's official information campaign on the topic. Furthermore, She clarified that she did not receive any government funding to produce the controversial video, albeit it wasn't immediately clear if she has recorded the video during her working hours as a government employee.
Disrespecting sign language
By September 2016, the page had registered more than 4 million followers. The blog site, mocha.com.ph reportedly generated 20 million users in June 2016. As of 2018, Mocha Uson Blog has 5.4 million likes. Vincent Lazatin, Executive Director of the Transparency & Accountability Network, criticized Mocha Uson Blog for its controversial and polarizing content. The blog has also been the subject of parodies and satire.
Due to the blog occasionally posting disagreeable content, it has also become the subject of petitions for removal which have been disputed by the blog's supporters through a counter-petition.
Mocha Uson Blog's mobile application reportedly had about 10,000 downloads as of January 2018.
- Ressa, Maria (October 8, 2016). "How Facebook algorithms impact democracy". Rappler. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- Sallan, Edwin (October 15, 2016). "Mocha Uson insists she's just being 'patriotic, not a fanatic'". InterAksyon.com. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Mocha Uson: 'I have changed'". Manila Bulletin. October 16, 2016. Retrieved August 5, 2016.
- Sallan, Edwin (June 27, 2016). "Mocha Uson interviews Duterte, declares support for president-elect's media boycott". InterAksyon. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- Dizon, Irish Christianne. "A night with Mocha Uson". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Mocha Uson Blog". Mocha Uson Blog. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Mocha Uson Blog". Mocha Uson Blog. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- "Mocha Uson Blog mobile app na" [Mocha Uson Blog now a mobile app]. Pilipino Star Ngayon (in Filipino). The Philippine Star. 10 January 2018. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- Tantiangco, Aya (October 14, 2016). "Mocha Uson asks Ateneo about Mochang Tanga Blog, told it's all for fun". GMA News. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Anti-Mocha Uson petition sparks debate on freedom of speech". Rappler. October 24, 2016.
- Paul Quilét. "Suspend Mocha Uson Blog Facebook Page". Change.org. Missing or empty