Mock Tudor (album)
|Studio album by Richard Thompson|
|Studio||The Sound Factory, Los Angeles; RAK Studios, London|
|Genre||Folk rock, electric folk|
|Producer||Tom Rothrock and Rob Schnapf|
|Richard Thompson chronology|
|The Green Man||(not rated)|
|The Graham Weekly||(not rated)|
For this, his fifth album for Capitol, Thompson teamed up with producers Tom Rothrock and Rob Schnapf, and Mock Tudor had a more straightforward production than his preceding albums on Capitol which had been produced by Mitchell Froom. In this album Thompson draws predominantly on the musical styles of 1960s England—the time and place of his youth. The lyrics have a nostalgic tinge and are rich with allusion to fairy tales and children's books as well as to Shakespeare and T. S. Eliot.
Thematically, Mock Tudor is split into three sections: Metroland—comprising the first five songs, "Cooksferry Queen" to "Hard on Me", Heroes In The Suburbs—covering "Crawl Back (Under My Stone)" through "Walking the Long Miles Home", and concluding with Street Cries And Stage Whispers—encompassing the last three songs (on the original release).
Widely regarded by critics and Thompson fans as one of his best works, Mock Tudor did not enjoy much popularity among the public, despite positive critical acclaim. This was the last album that Thompson recorded for Capitol and his last to date for a major record label. Subsequent Thompson studio albums would be self-financed and distributed by smaller independent labels.
All songs written by Richard Thompson
- "Cooksferry Queen" – 4:14
- "Sibella" – 4:15
- "Bathsheba Smiles" – 3:54
- "Two-Faced Love" – 4:03
- "Hard On Me" – 5:55
- "Crawl Back (Under My Stone)" – 3:59
- "Uninhabited Man" – 4:52
- "Dry My Tears And Move On" – 3:48
- "Walking The Long Miles Home" – 4:10
- "Sights And Sounds Of London Town" – 4:54
- "That's All, Amen, Close The Door" – 5:56
- "Hope You Like The New Me" – 5:00
Mock Tudor was released on Bong Load Records as a double vinyl LP and with two extra songs
- "Fully Qualified To Be Your Man"
- "Mr. Rebound"
- Richard Thompson - guitar, vocals, mandolin, harmonium, hurdy-gurdy, dulcimer
- Mitchell Froom - keyboards
- Atom Ellis - bass guitar
- Dave Mattacks - drums, percussion
- Judith Owen - backing vocals on Uninhabited Man & Two-Faced Love
- Danny Thompson - double bass
- Teddy Thompson - guitar and backing vocals
- David McKelsy - harmonica
- Jeff Turmes - baritone saxophone
- Charles Davis – cornet
- Leslie Benedict – trombone
- Randall Aldcroft – trombone
- Larry Hall - cornet
- Joey Waronker - extra drums on Bathsheba Smiles
- Lovely Previn - violin on Mr. Rebound
- John Bergamot - percussion on Mr. Rebound
- Tom Rothrock, Rob Schnapf – producers, recordists, mixers
- Dan Thompson – recordist
- Don Tyler – mastering
- Tudor Revival architecture, often called "Mock Tudor"