|Founded||Munich, Germany (1976)|
|Kim Sung-joo (Chairman)
Michael Michalsky (Creative Director)
MCM Worldwide is a leather luxury goods brand founded by Michael Cromer and bought out by Sungjoo Group in 2005. The brand’s signature logo-printed material, called Cognac Visetos, appears on many of its products. Its brass plate insignia is found on all heritage collection bags, and most products; each brass plate is identified by a unique number at the bottom. MCM sells its products through wholesale accounts, franchises and directly operated stores.
The MCM label, originally stood for Michael Cromer München, was founded by Michael Cromer in 1976 in Munich, Germany. The company designed expensive leather suitcases and handbags which became popular during the 1980s for being "ostentatious and flashy." At the height of its popularity in 1993, it owned 250 branches worldwide and recorded sales of $250 million. Following a 1995 investigation of Cromer for alleged tax evasion by German tax authorities, banks and investors lost faith in MCM's financial stability. In 1997, the company was restructured, and its stores and trademark rights were split and sold.
In 2005, the worldwide rights to the MCM brand were acquired by Sungjoo Group, a South Korean retail business founded by Sung-Joo Kim, the youngest daughter of South Korean magnate Kim Soo-keon. Kim re-launched the brand in 2006 with a new store in Berlin and appointed German designer Michael Michalsky as MCM’s creative director. MCM thereafter reopened stores in New York, Paris, London, Singapore, Tokyo and China among others. In 2011, MCM debuted its largest store in Hong Kong’s Entertainment Building.
- mcmworldwide.com Brand identity
- Ramirez, Elva (March 12, 2010). "MCM's Eastern Makeover". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- Elendt, Von Gerd; Jochen Siemens (July 20, 2007). "Der Fall des Michael Cromer" (in German). Stern. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- businessoffashion.com MCM Aims For $2 Billion Sales in Five Years APRIL 22, 2016
- Moodie Report, MCM reaches for the stars on global stage 10/11/06
- Moodie Report, MCM inaugurates Hong Kong flagship in glittering ceremony
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MCM Modern Creation München.|