ModelCo was launched in 2002 by former model agent Shelley Sullivan (then Shelley Barrett). For ten years Sullivan had been running a modeling agency known as Shelley's Management Group. In May 2002 she founded ModelCo and launched the Lash Wand Heated Eyelash Curler, followed by Tan Airbrush in a Can in 2003.
ModelCo has developed and launched over 300 products, including Tan Airbrush in a Can, Fibre Lash Brush on False Lashes and launched a natural skincare range in August, 2014.
ModelCo is distributed in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Asia, the United States and the Middle East. In Australia ModelCo is available from modelcocosmetics.com and is stocked in Woolworths and Coles stores nationally as well as Priceline stores in Australia. Abroad their products are sold in New Zealand's Farmers, London’s Space.NK, Colette and Le Printemps in Paris, and Sony Plaza in Japan.
In 2013, ModelCo announced model and actress Rosie Huntington-Whiteley as the face of the 2013/14 summer campaign. In July 2013 she modelled for the summer campaign on Hayman Island, and returned to Australia in August, 2014 to promote the company's new skincare range. In 2016, ModelCo announced its collaboration with US model Hailey Baldwin and launched the Hailey Baldwin for ModelCo cosmetic collection.
- 2014 InStyle Beauty Hall Of Fame, "Best Lip Gloss Under $25", ModelCo Lip Lights Lip Gloss
- 2014 PopSugar Australia Beauty Awards, "Best Sunscreen", ModelCo Daily Face Mattifying Sunscreen and Lip Balm SPF50+
- 2013 PopSugar Australia Beauty Awards, "Best Nail Colour Collection", ModelCo Nail Polish
- 2013 PopSugar Australia Beauty Awards, "Best Lip Product", ModelCo Party Proof Matte Lipstick
- Nauman, Zoe. "Still stylish despite the showers! Rosie Huntington-Whiteley showcases slender legs and stunning figure in the rain wearing blue dress at ModelCo skincare launch". Daily Mail. Nine Msn. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- "Farmers Beauty - ModelCo". Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Moran, Jonanthan. "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley the new face of Oz cosmetics brand ModelCo". dailytelegraph.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Hoyer, Melissa. "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley won the genetic lottery, even joining her for breakfast is a really good experience". news.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Duscher, Remy. "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley on how to get skin as good as hers". Vogue.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Brooks-Wilson, Sarah. "InStyle Best in Beauty 2014". InStyle Australia. Pacific Magazines. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Dunton-Rose, Justine. "Best Sunscreen". PopSugar. Allure Media. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Rice, Alison. "Best Nail Polish Collection". PopSugar. Allure Media. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Rice, Alison. "Best lipstick". PopSugar. Allure Media. Retrieved 18 September 2014.