This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Model building is a hobby that involves the creation of models either from kits or from materials and components acquired by the builder. The kits contain several pieces that need to be assembled in order to make a final model. Most model building categories have a range of common scales that make them manageable for the average person both to complete and display. A model is generally considered physical representations of an object and maintains accurate relationships between all of its aspects.
The model building kits can be classified according to skill levels that represent the degree of difficulty for the hobbyist. These include skill level 1 with snap-together pieces that do not require glue or paint; skill level 2, which requires glue and paint; and, skill level 3 kits that include smaller and more detailed parts. Advanced skill levels 4 and 5 kits ship with components that have extra fine details. Particularly, level 5 requires expert-level skills.
Today,[when?] model building is no longer exclusively a hobbyist pursuit. The complexity of assembling representations of actual objects has become a career for several people. There are, for instance, those who build models to commemorate historic events. These are employed to construct models using past events as a basis to predict future events of high commercial interest.
The categories of modelling include:
- Scale model building
- Live steam models
- Matchstick models
- Military models
- Model aircraft
- Model cars
- Model commercial vehicles
- Model construction vehicles
- Building models
- Architectural models
- Model figures
- Model military vehicles
- Rail transport modelling
- Model rockets
- Model ships
- Freelance model
- Cardboard engineering
- Firearm models (See Airsoft guns)
- Gundam Models
- "A Beginner's Guide to Model Building - Part 1 of a 4 part series | Hobby and Toy Central". hobbyandtoycentral.com. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Hasluck, Paul (2013). Building Model Boats - Including Sailing and Steam Vessels. Read Books Ltd. ISBN 9781473347410.
- Stevenson, Lynne Warner; Davis, Roger B. (2016-08-01). "Model Building as an Educational Hobby". Circulation: Heart Failure. 9 (8): e003457. doi:10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.116.003457. ISSN 1941-3289. PMID 27514752.
- All the models presented at the exhibition “War on the Table” at the Museum of Fine Arts located in Yekaterinburg Russia (Foto)
|This decorative art–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|