Casey Schreiner (blogger)
This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Casey Schreiner is an American author and outdoor journalist. He runs the site Modern Hiker, where he writes trail guides on various hiking routes in Southern California. His blog is one of the most popular hiking blogs in the United States, ranking number 2 on USA Today's Best Hiking and Outdoors Blogs.
Modern Hiker began as a personal outdoor blog. Schreiner's first post was on December 10, 2006. The blog began to pick up attention as he posted more articles and guides about Los Angeles-area trails. Schreiner has become somewhat of a public figure in the outdoors community, covering both local and national issues. He gained substantial public attention during his campaign to combat graffiti in national parks, including breaking national news with the story of Casey Nocket's vandalism spree across several National Parks in the American West. Schreiner also broke the national news story of graffiti artist Mr. André's vandalism of Joshua Tree National Park. Mr. André attempted to threaten Modern Hiker with legal action for outing his actions, but the threats were eventually dropped when Saraiva paid a fine to the park.
Schreiner is a frequent guest commentator on outdoor issues in Southern California, and is the author of "Day Hiking Los Angeles," a 348-page hiking guidebook published by Mountaineers Books in late 2016.
- LAist Archived 2017-11-05 at the Wayback Machine
- YOSEMITE: ART OF AN AMERICAN ICON
- ""Art" in the Parks | Modern Hiker". Modern Hiker. 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- Sahagun, Louis (26 April 2015). "Graffiti artists' move to national parks shocks nature community". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Mr. Andre Issues Legal Threat to Modern Hiker | Modern Hiker". Modern Hiker. 2015-03-10. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- Radio, Southern California Public (2016-07-29). "Runyon Canyon to reopen Tuesday — with a few improvements". Southern California Public Radio. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "Mountaineers Books: Day Hiking: Los Angeles". www.mountaineersbooks.org. Retrieved 2016-12-07.