List of contemporary Iranian scientists, scholars, and engineers
(Redirected from Modern Iranian scientists and engineers)
The following is a list of notable Iranian scholars, scientists and engineers around the world from the contemporary period. For mathematicians, see List of Iranian mathematicians. (A person may appear on both lists, e.g. Abbas Edalat.)
- Behnaam Aazhang, professor, Rice University
- Akbar Adibi, electronic engineer, VLSI researcher, professor of engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology 
- Majid Adibzadeh, scholar and Political scientist
- Haleh Afshar, academic and peer, University of York
- Masoud Alimohammadi, assassinated quantum field theorist and elementary-particle physicist
- Abbas Amanat, Professor of History and International Studies at Yale University 
- Mehdi Amini, professor, The University of Memphis
- Shahram Amiri
- Anousheh Ansari, the world's first female space tourist, co-founder and chairman of Prodea Systems, Inc., co-founder and former CEO of Telecom Technologies, Inc. (TTI)
- Farhad Ardalan, physicist, IPM
- Nima Arkani-Hamed, professor, Institute for Advanced Study
- Nasser Ashgriz, Professor of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto
- Touraj Atabaki, Professor of Social History of the Middle East and Central Asia, Department of History, University of Amsterdam
- Mehdi Bahadori, Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Hossein Baharvand, Professor of Stem Cell and Developmental Biology, and director of Royan Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology
- Shaul Bakhash, historian, George Mason University
- Asef Bayat, Professor of Sociology and Middle East Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Nariman Behravesh, Chief Economist and Executive Vice President, Global Insight
- Mahmoud Behzad, pioneer Iranian biologist
- Mina Bissell, Director of UC Berkeley Life Sciences Division
- Touraj Daryaee, Iranologist and historian, University of California, Irvine
- Abdolali Dastgheib, Literary critics and writer, author of more than 60 books, Shiraz
- Abbas Edalat, Professor of Computer Science and Mathematics, Imperial College London
- Kamran Elahian, entrepreneur
- Kamran Eshraghian, VLSI pioneer in Australia
- Fereydoon Family, Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor of Physics, Emory University
- Yasaman Farzan, Kharazmi young scientist Award in 2006, Young Scientist Prize of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) in 2008, International Centre for Theoretical Physics Prize in 2013
- Nasir Gebelli, computer scientist and video game developer
- Zoubin Ghahramani, Professor of Information Engineering Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge
- Mohammed Ghanbari, professor, University of Essex
- Mehdi Golshani, professor, Sharif University of Technology
- Vartan Gregorian, president, Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Mohammad Reza Hafeznia, professor, University of Tehran
- Ali Hajimiri, Caltech, co-founder of Axiom Microdevices Inc.
- Majid Hassanizadeh, Professor of Hydrogeology; expertise: theories of porous media (Utrecht University, the Netherlands)
- Babak Hassibi, Professor of Electrical Engineering, Caltech
- Mahmoud Hessaby, physicist, father of modern physics in Iran (Persia)
- Payam Heydari, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine 
- Eric Hooglund, professor of political science
- Reza Iravani, Professor and the L. Lau Chair in Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto
- Ali Jafari, Professor of Computer and Information Technology, Purdue University
- Hamid Jafarkhani, professor in electrical engineering and computer science, University of California, Irvine
- Ali Javan, physicist and inventor of the gas laser at MIT
- Taraneh Javanbakht, scientist, researcher and academic lecturer
- Kamaloddin Jenab, pioneering physicist
- Naser Kamalian, medical scholar and the father of modern neuropathology in Iran
- Mehran Kardar, physicist, MIT
- Ahmad Karimi-Hakkak, Founding Director of Center for Persian Studies, University of Maryland
- Homayoon Kazerooni, professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, Co-founder and Chief Scientist of Berkeley Bionics, inventor of the HULC
- Shaygan Kheradpir, Chief Operating Office, Barclays
- Omid Kordestani, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Field Operations, Google
- Farinaz Koushanfar, researcher and engineer
- Caro Lucas, scientist; professor and founding director of the Center of Excellence for Control and Intelligent Processing (CIPCE), School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Tehran; researcher at the School of Cognitive Sciences (SCS), Institute for Studies in Theoretical Physics and Mathematics (IPM), Tehran
- Esfandiar Maasoumi, Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, Southern Methodist University
- Iraj Malekpour, professor of space physics
- Abbas Milani, Director of Iranian Studies Program, Stanford University
- Farzaneh Milani, Director of Studies in Women and Gender, University of Virginia
- Parviz Moin, Franklin P. and Caroline M. Johnson Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
- Ali Montazeri, Public Health Scientist at the Health Metrics Research Center of the Iranian Institute for Health Sciences Research
- Mohsen Mostafavi, Dean, Cornell University College of Architecture, Art, and Planning
- Hamid Mowlana, Director of the Division of International Communication at American University in Washington D.C., and former President of the International Association for Media and Communication Research
- Firouz Naderi, associate director, Project Formulation and Strategy, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, NASA
- Hossein Nasr, philosopher, George Washington University
- Farzad Nazem, former Chief Technical Officer and Executive Vice President, Yahoo!
- Camran Nezhat, Director, Stanford Endoscopy Center for Training & Technology, Stanford University
- Mehrdad Nikoonahad, Vice president, Business Development, PDF Solutions, Inc.
- Kaveh Pahlavan, Professor and Director of CWINS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Hashem Pesaran, Fellow of Trinity College, Fellow of The British Academy, former Director of the Applied Econometrics Program at UCLA, founding editor of the Journal of Applied Econometrics, Cambridge University
- Ali R. Rabi, founding chair of the Middle East Citizens Assembly, University of Maryland
- Majid Rafizadeh, political scientist scholar at Harvard University
- Yahya Rahmat-Samii, professor of electromagnetics at UCLA
- Sohrab Rohani, chair, Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, University of Western Ontario
- Mostafa Ronaghi, Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President of Illumina
- Pardis Sabeti, geneticist, Assistant Professor, Center for Systems Biology and Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University
- Hossein Sadri, Dean, Associate Professor of Architectural Theory, Girne American University
- Reihaneh Safavi-Naini, cryptographer, Professor in School of Computer Science, University of Wollongong
- Muhammad Sahimi, Chair of Chemical Engineering Department, University of Southern California
- Farrokh Saidi, medical professor and administrator, permanent member of Iranian Academy of Medical Sciences
- Jawad Salehi, inventor of optical code division multiple access, professor of electrical engineering at Sharif University of Technology
- Majid Samii, neurosurgeon and scientist, president of the International Society for Neurosurgery
- Mohammad-Nabi Sarbolouki, Professor of Macromolecular Physical Chemistry, Tehran University
- Hossein Seifzadeh, Professor of Department of Political Sciences, University of Tehran
- Alireza Shapour Shahbazi, lecturer in Achaemenid archeology and Iranology at Harvard University; full professor of history in Eastern Oregon University, Eastern Oregon University
- Mohammad Shahidehpour, former Dean of the Graduate College and Associate VP for Research, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Freidoon Shahidi, university research professor, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Manuchehr Shahrokhi, Craig Fellow/Professor, editor of the Global Finance Journal, California State University, Fresno
- Vahid Shams Kolahi, solid-state physicist with contribution to CIGS and CdTe solar cells
- Amir Ali Sheibany, Professor of Geology, University of Tehran; founder and chairman of the National Iranian Steel Corporation (ZobAhan AryaMehr)
- Saeed Shirkavand, former Vice Minister in Ministry of Economic Affairs and Finance (Iran), Assistant Professor in management faculty of University of Tehran
- Hamid Shirvani, President and Professor of Art and Architecture, Briar Cliff University
- Amin Shokrollahi, Professor of I&C faculty and the head of ALGO lab, EPFL, Switzerland
- Gholam Reza Sinambari, Chair of Department of Environmental Engineering, Fachhochschule Bingen
- Hamid Soltanian-Zadeh, senior scientist, Henry Ford Health System, and Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Tehran
- Abdolkarim Soroush, philosopher
- Cumrun Vafa, physicist, Harvard University
- Saba Valadkhan, biomedical scientist; assistant professor and RNA researcher at Case Western Reserve University
- Alireza Yaghoubi, materials scientist, designer and entrepreneur
- Ehsan Yarshater, Distinguished Professor, Columbia University
- Houman Younessi, professor, Assistant Dean of Academics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute – Hartford Graduate Campus; Director Rensselaer Initiative in Systems Engineering (RISE)
- Lotfi A. Zadeh, creator of fuzzy logic and fuzzy set, UC Berkeley
- Mehdi Zakerian, visiting professor, Penn Law, University of Pennsylvania, President of Iranian International Studies Association (IISA), Editor-in-Chief of International Studies Journal
- Esmail Zanjani, Department Chair of Department of Animal Biotechnology at University of Nevada, Reno
- Abdolhossein Zarrinkoob, scholar of Iranian literature, history of literature, Persian culture and history
- List of Iranian scientists from the pre-modern era
- Science and technology in Iran
- List of universities in Iran
- Higher education in Iran
- List of Iranian Research Centers
- International rankings of Iran in science and technology
- Brain drain in Iran, the world's highest in 2006
- "Akbar Adibi". Aut.ac.ir. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Professor Haleh Afshar". York.ac.uk. Archived from the original on 2005-02-07.
- "Abbas Amanat | Department of History". history.yale.edu. Retrieved 2017-03-08.
- "Prof. N. Ashgriz – Multi-phase Flow Laboratory". Mie.toronto.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Prof. dr Touraj Atabaki". Archived from the original on 2003-08-29.
- Nariman Behravesh. "Global Insight // // Experts // Nariman Behravesh". Globalinsight.com. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Mina J. Bissell, Ph.D". Archived from the original on 2003-09-08.
- Abbas Edalat's Home Page
- "Kamran Elahian: Chairman & Co-Founder". Archived from the original on 2001-06-29.
- "Emory Physics: Fereydoon Family". Physics.emory.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Zoubin Ghahramani". Learning.eng.cam.ac.uk. 2005-12-10. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Mohammed Ghanbari. "Home Page for Mohammed Ghanbari". Privatewww.essex.ac.uk. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Home Page for Mehdi Golshani". www.sharif.ac.ir. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Carnegie Corporation – About". Carnegie.org. Archived from the original on 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Caltech.edu". Its.caltech.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Home of Babak Hassibi". Systems.caltech.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Ali Jafari". Ready2Net. Archived from the original on 2002-12-26.
- "MIT Physics Faculty: Mehran Kardar". Web.mit.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Ahmad Karimi-Hakkak". Archived from the original on 2006-03-08.
- , University of California, Berkeley
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-31. Retrieved 2011-11-05., Berkeley Robotics and Human Engineering Laboratory
- "Corporate Information – Google Management". Google.com. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Caro Lucas". University of Tehran. Archived from the original on 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "Esfandiar Maasoumi, Ph.D". Archived from the original on 2006-08-16.
- "Parviz Moin". Archived from the original on 2008-05-19.
- "CV at the Institute of Health Sciences" (PDF). Retrieved 21 February 2017. Linked from Departmental web page
- "Mohsen Mostafavi is dean of AAP". News.cornell.edu. 2004-04-15. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "School of International Service at American University – Hamid Mowlana". American.edu. Archived from the original on 2013-02-03. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Yahoo! Media Relations – Farzad Nazem Bio". Docs.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Camran Nezhat, M.D". Archived from the original on 2002-06-04.
- "PDF Solutions® Names Semiconductor Industry Innovator Dr. Mehrdad Nikoonahad Vice President, Business Development". Archived from the original on 2006-03-28.
- "BW Online | December 3, 2001 | Online Extra: Q&A with eBay's Pierre Omidyar". Businessweek.com. 2001-12-03. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "» Staff". Econ.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Institute for the Study of Labor". IZA. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "ROHANI, Sohrab". Archived from the original on 2005-04-08.
- "Dr. Sahimi in ChE@USC". Archived from the original on 2002-12-16.
- Alireza Shapour Shahbazi
- "وزارت امور اقتصادی و دارایی".
- "en:group [Algo]". Algo.epfl.ch. 2010-09-13. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Ehsan Yarshater Home Page – a prominent scholar in Persian language & literature, editor of the Encyclopedia Iranica". Perlit.sailorsite.net. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Rensselaer Hartford – DOES Faculty and Staff
- Animal Biotechnology Directory, University of Nevada, Reno