|Origin||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Associated acts||Koven, Document One, Foreign Beggars, Ryan Keen, Dirtyphonics|
|Past members||Matthew Curtis
Modestep are a dubstep and rock band from London that formed in 2010. Their debut album Evolution Theory was released on 11 February 2013, including its five singles: "Feel Good", "Sunlight", "To the Stars", "Show Me a Sign" and "Another Day". Modestep's second album, London Road, was released on 25 May 2015.
- 1 History
- 2 Festival history
- 3 Musical style & influences
- 4 Members
- 5 Discography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Early career (2010–2011)
Tony had been DJing since 2001 while Josh had been in multiple bands prior to Modestep with the drummer, only forming the band in 2010, along with guitarist Nick Tsang, a former member of Go:Audio.
Evolution Theory (2011–2013)
Modestep began work on their debut album during early January 2011, with their debut single "Feel Good" being released in the United Kingdom on 6 February 2011; managing to reach the BBC Radio 1 A Playlist during the weeks prior to release. The single was released as part of a 3-track extended play, including another track entitled "Bite The Hand". On 13 February, the single debuted at number 38 on the UK Singles Chart, also reaching number 5 on the independent releases chart and number 6 on the dance releases chart. The music video of the new version of their single "Sunlight" was released on YouTube on 3 July, passing 1 million views within four days, also making the Radio 1 A-list and debuting at number 16 in the UK charts. "To The Stars" has also made it onto the Radio 1 A-list and was released on 6 November. Their fourth single "Show Me A Sign" made its YouTube debut on 19 March 2012 and was released on 6 May 2012. They were also a support act for Lostprophets Weapons tour in mid-2012 and have been received extremely well by audiences. In July 2012, the fifth single from Evolution Theory, entitled "Another Day", was aired on BBC Radio 1Xtra. Modestep had previously performed this song to open their set when supporting Lostprophets on their spring UK tour. Just before the song was aired, Tony Friend revealed in an interview that Modestep hoped to release their debut album on 3 September 2012. After the album was pushed back to 14 January 2013, it was pushed back yet again to 11 February 2013.
Second studio album, departure of Tsang and Curtis and arrival of Deek and Lundy (2013–present)
Modestep have announced via their social pages that they are now in the studio working on new material. On 16 October 2013 they began work on the first track from their forthcoming second studio album. In December 2013, the band embarked on the Foot Locker tour in Europe, promoting popular shoe retail store Foot Locker. On 14 January 2014, Tsang and Curtis both left the band to pursue their own careers in the music industry. Despite this the album is still scheduled and a world tour is expected with the two new members, Pat Lundy (ex-drummer of the iconic band Funeral For A Friend) and Kyle Deek (age 22) who joined in the spring of 2014. Starting in mid-2014, Josh and Tony began their recurring appearances in TheSyndicateProject's YouTube series, "Mianite", a series of videos based around the game Minecraft.
The band released a new single titled "Snake" for free download in mid-January 2015. On 22 February 2015, they announced the title and track listing for their second studio album, to be released on 25 May 2015. London Road, released through Modestep's own record label Max Records, features collaborations with FuntCase, Teddy Killerz, Culprate, The Partysquad, Trolley Snatcha, Big Narstie, Flowdan, Frisco and more. On 14 May 2015, Modestep announced the release of one new song per day until the full album release.
|This section requires expansion with: merge with history section, there is no need to have a separate section just based on what festivals they have partaken in. (June 2014)|
|2011||Download Festival||Performed on the "Bedroom Jam" stage.|||
|Wireless Festival||Hyde Park, London, on Saturday 2 July.|||
|Audioriver||Płock, Poland, on Saturday 30 July.|||
|Pukkelpop||Belgium on Thursday 18 August. Shortly after their performance, the festival was canceled due a heavy rainstorm, large hail and a windspeed of 170 km/h (106 mph).|||
|2012||NASS Festival 2012||Headlined the second day of the festival with Sum 41 on 7 July 2012|||
|Redfest 2012||Headlined the main stage on Friday 20 July.|||
|Pukkelpop||Performed in the "Dance Hall" on Friday 16 August.|||
|Reading and Leeds Festival||Performed on the "Dance Stage" on Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 August.|||
|Chicagos North Coast Music Festival||Sunday 2 September.|||
|Grape Festival||One of the headliners. Played at Piestany, Slovakia on Saturday 11 August.|||
|2013||Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival||Friday 19 April.|||
|Ultra Music Festival||Performed on the "Live Stage" in Miami on Sunday 03/19 March and Friday 03/24 March.|||
|T In The Park||Performed on the "Transmissions Stage" on Sunday 14 July.|||
|2015||Download Festival||Performed on the "Zippo Encore Stage" on Friday 12 June 2015.|
Musical style & influences
Modestep have various musical styles and sounds as they have incorporated electronical elements such as dubstep and drum & bass, however they have also incorporated hard rock into their music, thus giving them a unique style. Josh Friend has also incorporated vocals into their music.
They have been placed next to bands such as Pendulum and The Prodigy due to their musical style, however they are able to play along with other artists such as The Script, Skrillex, Ed Sheeran and Flux Pavilion. In an interview with Soundsphere Magazine, the members explained that "We’re all massive ‘tech-head’ musicians...". It is explained how each member of the band influences their musical style with different genres of music, also explaining that their unique musical style was unintentional.
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2011||To the Stars (Remixes)
|2012||Show Me a Sign (Remixes)
|2013||Inside My Head
|2010||"Feel Good"||David Bispham, Josh Friend & Tony Friend||Narrative|||
|2011||"Sunlight"||Josh Friend & Tony Friend|||
|"To The Stars"||Liam Underwood, Josh Friend & Tony Friend||Performance|||
|"To The Stars" (Break The Noise & The Autobots Remix)||Liam Underwood||Tour footage|||
|2012||"Show Me A Sign"||Richard Payne, Josh Friend & Tony Friend||Narrative|||
|Sam Friend||Tour footage|||
|"Another Day" (featuring Popeska) (xKore Remix)||Josh Friend & Tony Friend||Narrative|||
|"Paradise" (Coldplay cover)||Liam Underwood||Performance|||
|2013||"Another Day" (featuring Popeska)||Josh Friend & Tony Friend||Tour footage|||
- Whats Up Whatson. "Modestep Interview With Josh Friend" (Interview). WhatsUpWhatson.com. Whats Up Whatson. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
Tony’s been DJ- ing for about thirteen years...
- Kevin Wicks (2 April 2013). "British Breakout Interview: Dubstep is Dead, Long Live Modestep" (Interview). BBC America. BBC America. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
...guitarist Nick Tsang to fill out the band’s arena-ready sound...
- "Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive". The Official Charts Company. 19 February 2011. Retrieved 7 Aug 2011.
- "UK Top 40 Independent Singles Archive". The Official Charts Company. 19 February 2011. Retrieved 7 Aug 2011.
- "UK Top 40 Dance Singles Archive". The Official Charts Company. 19 February 2011. Retrieved 7 Aug 2011.
- "Modestep working on new material". Twitter. Modestep. Retrieved 11/05/2013. Check date values in:
- "Twitter / modestep: First day in the studio to ...". Twitter. 2013-10-16.
- "MODESTEP X FOOT LOCKER TOUR LANDS IN PARIS". Mixmag.net. Mix Mag. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Tsang and Curtis leave the band (Facebook post)". Facebook.com. Modestep. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Carter, Emily. "Modestep offer new track, Snake, as free download". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Download Festival 2011 Lineup". virtualfestivals.com. virtualfestivals.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Wireless 2011". wirelessfestival.co.uk. wirelessfestival.co.uk. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Audioriver 2011 at Beach on the Vistula River". residentadvisor.net. residentadvisor.net. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Pukkelpop 2011 Lineup". virtualfestivals.com. virtualfestivals.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Relentless Energy NASS 2011 Lineup". virtualfestivals.com. virtualfestivals.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "REDFEST DETAILS FULL 2012 LINE UP INC. YOUNG GUNS, KIGH AND KING BLUES". punktastic.com. punktastic.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Pukkelpop 2012 Lineup". virtualfestivals.com. virtualfestivals.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Line up Reading /Leeds". bbc.co.uk. bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "2012 Lineup". northcoastfestival.com. northcoastfestival.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Grape Festival 2012". clashfinder.com. clashfinder.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Coachella Music Festival 2013 Line-Up Announced". sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com. sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Ridiculous Live Bass Group Modestep Talks Ultra, Justin Timberlake and More". Vibe. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "T In The Park 2013 Lineup". virtualfestivals.com. virtualfestivals.com. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Martyn Young (14 February 2013). "Modestep – Evolution Theory Album Review". musicomh. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- Soundsphere Magazine (29 August 2012). "Interview: Modestep [Leeds Festival 2012]". Soundsphere Magazine. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Modestep chart positions". officialcharts.com. officialcharts.com. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Top 40 Dance Albums UK". officialcharts.com. officialcharts.com. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Modestep charting positions". Billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "To the Stars (Remixes) - EP" (Online shopping). iTunes. Modestep. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Show Me a Sign (Remixes) - EP" (Online shopping). iTunes. Modestep. 6 May 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Inside My Head EP" (Soundcloud playlist). Soundcloud. Modestep. 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Cee-Lo Green - Fuck You (Modestep Remix)". YouTube. 2010-10-14. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Link to Exile remix from Modestep" (Facebook post). Facebook. Modestep. 10 December 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
The song that started it all...
- "Ryan Keen - All This Time (Modestep Remix) (preview) by Modestep on SoundCloud - Hear the world's sounds". SoundCloud. 2012-12-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Modestep.|