Modjaji Books is a South African small-scale independent publisher. Modjaji Books was started in 2007 by Colleen Higgs, it is an independent press that publishes the writings of Southern African women.
Modjaji Books wants to fill a gap by providing an independent outlet for serious writing by women. “From poetry to biography to fiction, there will be an outlet for writing by women that takes itself – and its readers – seriously.”
The Modjaji Books blog is frequently updated and features reviews, news, articles and insights on South African publishing. The blog is available on Books LIVE.
Books Published by Modjaji Books
- Strange Fruit by Helen Moffett
- Oleander by Fiona Zerbst
- Please, Take Photographs by Sindiwe Magona
- Burnt Offering by Joan Metelerkamp
- Invisible Earthquake by Malika Ndlovu (A mother's journal about stillbirth with an essay by Prof Sue Fawcus, Obstetrician from Mowbray Maternity hospital) (poetic memoir)
- Whiplash by Tracey Farren (short-listed for the 2009 Sunday Times Fiction prize)
- Fourth Child by Megan Hall (Winner of the Ingrid Jonker prize)
- Life in Translation by Azila Talit Reisenberger
- Got No Secrets by Danila Botha