Motto in English
|"Towards a Better Future"|
|Type||Non-profit Private institution|
|Rector||Dr. Ibrahim Mohamed Mursal|
|Campus||Mogadishu Main Compus,|
The idea to establish a non-governmental educational institution started in June 1997, after which time it took five years to develop and open the university. It opened in September 1997 as a non-governmental, non-profit institution for higher learning, governed by a Board of Trustees and a University Council.
Mogadishu University has relocated its activities to its Main campus on the outskirts of Mogadishu.
The main campus in Mogadishu was initiated with the assistance of the Islamic Development Bank, among other donors. In 2008, Mogadishu University opened another campus in Bosaso in the northeastern Puntland state of Somalia, which recently formed into an independent University called Red Sea University in Somalia.
The institution has been invited to join the Somali Aid Coordination Body (SACB) Educational Sector Committee. On 21 September 2004, the MU representatives Mr Fathudin Mohamed, Westley Bii and Hussein M. Iman (MU Program Director) attended the SACB Educational Sector Committee meeting in Nairobi, Kenya.
Two delegates from MU, Dr. Abdurahman Moalim Abdullahi, the Chairman of Board of Trustees and Dr Abdullahi Farah Asseyr, MD, Adviser of the President and Head of faculty of Health Sciences Affairs at MU, paid a 10-day visit to Norway during which they signed a partnership agreement with the University of Tromsø.
The university accepts students who have graduated from secondary schools or those who have GCE equivalent certificates. Before enrollment, students have to pass a qualifying examinations in order to enroll in their program of study.
Institutes and centers
University institutes and centers are:
- The Institute for Somali Studies (ISOS),
- The Institute of Languages,
- The Somali Center for Water and Environment,
- The Center for Community Services and Continuing Education.
The university has nine faculties, which award BA and B.Sc degrees. The university's faculties are:
- Faculty of Economics & Management Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Share'a and Law
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology
- Faculty of Political Sciences & Public Administration.
- Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine & Surgery
Mogadishu University has accreditation with :
- Ministry of education
- The Board of the Intergovernmental Organization EDU.
1. Federation of Islamic World Universities (FIWU).
2. Association of Arab Private Institutions for Higher Education.
3. Association of Arab Universities (AAU).
4. Islamic Universities League (IUL).
5. Association of African Universities (AAU).
6. International Universities Council (IUC).
7. Association of International Universities ( AIU ).
8. Consortium of IGAD Universities.
- Mogadishu University - Accreditation
- https://www.isesco.org.ma/fuiw.org/en/universites_membres.php. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mogadishu University.|