|Directed by||Chandraprakash Dwivedi|
|Produced by||Vinay Tiwari|
|Screenplay by||Chandraprakash Dwivedi|
|Story by||Kashi Nath Singh|
|Based on||Kashi Ka Assi|
by Dr. Kashinath Singh
|Music by||Amod Bhatt|
|Cinematography||Vijay Kumar Arora|
|Edited by||Aseem Sinha|
Crossword Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
|Distributed by||White Lion Entertainment Pvt. Ltd|
Mohalla Assi (transl. The neighbourhood of Assi Ghat; Hindi pronunciation: [moːɦəllaː əssiː]) is a 2018 Indian Bollywood satirical comedy drama film starring Sunny Deol, and directed by Dr. Chandraprakash Dwivedi.
The film is loosely based on Dr. Kashi Nath Singh's popular Hindi novel Kashi Ka Assi, a satire on the commercialisation of the pilgrimage city, and fake gurus who lure the foreign tourists. Assi Ghat is a ghat in Varanasi (Banaras) on the banks of Ganges River, and the film is based in a famous and historical 'Mohalla' (locality) by the ghat, on the southern end of Banaras. Also starring Ravi Kishen and Sakshi Tanwar, the film is set in the post-independence period.
Sunny Deol plays the lead role of Sanskrit teacher and an orthodox religious priest (Pandit) while Sakshi Tanwar plays his wife. The story of the film goes through the events in 1990 and 1989 including Ram Janmabhoomi movement and Mandal Commission implementation.
- Sunny Deol as Pandey Ji
- Sakshi Tanwar as Savitri
- Ravi Kishan as Kanni Guru
- Saurabh Shukla as Upadhyay
- Mukesh Tiwari as Radheshyam
- Rajendra Gupta
- Mithilesh Chaturvedi
- Seema Azmi
- Faisal Rashid
- Davinder Singh
- Mohit Sinha
- Naresh Jang
- Vaibhav Mishra
- Shrichand Makhija
- Md. Rahman Jony
Dwivedi had previously directed Pinjar (2003), starring Urmila Matondkar and Manoj Bajpayee, and most known for television epic Chanakya. Ameesha Patel was offered the female lead role but turned it down because of financial differences with the film's producer. Sakshi Tanwar was cast as her replacement.
The principal photography of the film started on 28 January 2011 on the sets erected at the Film City, Mumbai, later scenes were also shot in Varanasi where film is set. The film is nearing completion and was slated to release around post monsoon all over India and oversears. After March 2011, the film was moved into post-production stage and was aiming for January, 2012 release.
Mohalla Assi was initially delayed for three years as the film director had stopped the work claiming that he had not been paid his dues, The release date of Mohalla Assi has been repeatedly pushed back and allegations of non-payment have continued to surface through 2012.   However, the film is now ready for release in October–November 2015.
After extended delays, on 12 June 2015 film's trailer was released, ahead on its late 2015 release. Shortly after, an FIR was filed in Varanasi against Deol and Dwivedi for the alleged use of abusive language in the film.
The film has been banned by the CBFC on 8 April 2016.
On December 11, 2017, Delhi High Court allowed the release of the film with one cut and adult certification, setting aside the order of CBFC. . After so many delayed Sunny Deol announced the release date on 21 September 2018. It was released on 16 November 2018.
Online piracy issue
Hyoti Sharma Bawa of Hindustan Times stated that Mohalla Assi could have been good film and gave it 2 out of 5 stars. Kunal Guha of Mumbai Mirror stated the film is a depressing depiction of Varanasi's issues and gave it 1.5 out of 5 star. Troy Ribeiro of News18 stated that the film is verbose and clunky and gave it 2 stars. Reza Noorani of Times of India stated that the film is an anti- tourism commercial and gave it 2 stars.
|Soundtrack album by |
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The songs of the film are composed by Amod Bhatt while lyrics are written by Gulzar.
|1.||"Soch Mein Antar"||Udit Narayan, Madhushree||3:12|
|2.||"Ganga Re Kabhi"||Sukhwinder Singh, Manoj Mishra, Ajay Jairam||6:51|
- "Mohalla Assi trailer: This film about modern day Varanasi will crack you up".
- "Sunny is all set to play priest". Times of India. 8 February 2011.
- "Sunny dons a priest's look for his new film 'Mohalla Assi'". Deccan Herald. 9 February 2011.
- "Sakshi Tanwar in Mohalla Assi". Indian Express. 11 February 2011.
- "Sunny Deol's Mohalla Assi release stayed by Delhi court".
- "First Day: Pihu - Mohalla Assi - Fantastic Beasts".
- "'Mohalla Assi' trailer: Curses flow freely along the Ganga in Sunny Deol-starrer about Varanasi".
- "Ameesha says no to Sunny Deol - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Sunny Deol is learning Sanskrit". Mid Day. 9 February 2011.
- "In the new world". Indian Express. 11 February 2011.
- "Sunny Deol to play a pandit in Mohalla Assi". NDTV Movies. Archived from the original on 12 February 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "Mohalla Assi delayed alleged non-payment of dues". November 30, 2013. The Times of India. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Sunny Deol's Mohalla Assi stuck - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Sunny Deol's 'Mohalla Assi' in dues row - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Sunny Deol's 'Mohalla Assi' to release late 2015".
- "Watch 'Mohalla Assi' trailer: Sunny Deol, Sakshi Tanwar's movie might just run into the Censors". The Indian Express. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Mohalla Assi Trailer 2015 Sunny Deol, Ravi kishan". Happy BollywoodFilms. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "FIR Against Sunny Deol For Allegedly Abusive Language In Mohalla Assi - NDTV Movies". Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- "CBFC bans member's film, Mohalla Assi | The Asian Age". The Asian Age. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- "Delhi HC allows release of film Mohalla Assi with Adult Certificate | Bar & Bench". Bar & Bench. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "'Manjhi: The Mountain Man' is second movie to be leaked in 10 days after 'Mohalla Assi'".
- "रिलीज होने से पहले पूरी फिल्म 'मोहल्ला अस्सी' लीक".
- "Mohalla Assi movie review: Sunny Deol film talks more, thinks less".
- "Mohalla Assi movie review: Sunny Deol, Ravi Kishan and Sakshi Tanwar's film is a dreary depiction of Varanasi's issues".
- "Mohalla Assi Movie Review: Astutely Mounted but Verbose and Clunky".
- "'Mohalla Assi' feels more like an anti-tourism commercial rather than a feature film".
- "First Weekend: Pihu - Mohalla Assi - 1st week 9.5cr, Fantastic Beasts".