Elneny with Arsenal in 2016
|Full name||Mohamed Naser Elsayed|
|Date of birth||11 July 1992|
|Place of birth||El-Mahalla El-Kubra, Egypt|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 1 January 2017.
Mohamed Naser Elsayed (Arabic: محمد ناصر السيد, translit. Muḥammad Nāṣir as-Sayyid ; born 11 July 1992) also known as Mohamed Elneny(Arabic: محمد النني, translit. Muḥammad Elneni), is an Egyptian footballer who plays for English club Arsenal and the Egypt national team.
He began his senior career at El Mokawloon and moved to Basel in January 2013. He won eight honours at Basel, including the Swiss Super League in each of his four seasons. In January 2016, he transferred to Arsenal
Elneny played his youth football with Al Ahly. In 2008 he transferred to El Mokawloon SC during the 2010–2011 season. Elneny advanced and became a regular in the starting team. Following the Port Said Stadium disaster, early February 2012, the Egyptian Premier League was stopped and all subsequent matches of the 2011–12 Egyptian Premier League were postponed. On 10 March 2012, the Egyptian Football Association announced their decision to cancel the remainder of the season.
FC Basel had been watching Elneny for some time and invited him to their training camp in Estepona from 14 to 24 January 2013. Elneny played his unofficial debut on 18 January 2013 during the friendly match against Steaua Bucureşti, a 1–1 draw. Elneny was able to impress Basel's trainer Murat Yakin during the training camp and on 29 January 2013, it was announced that he had signed a loan contract with Basel up until the end of June 2013. Elneny played his official debut for Basel in the 2012–13 Swiss Super League season on 10 February 2013 in the 3–0 home win against Sion as he was substituted in at half time.
At the end of the Swiss Super League season 2012–13 Elneny won the Championship title and was Swiss Cup runner up with Basel. In the 2012–13 UEFA Europa League Basel advanced as far as the semi-finals, there being matched against the reigning UEFA Champions League holders Chelsea, but they were knocked out, losing both home and away ties, beaten 2–5 on aggregate.
During May 2013 Basel announced that they had taken up the option of signing the Egyptian midfielder on a permanent basis. He signed a four-year contract up-until 30 June 2017. He scored his first goal for Basel, the last goal of the match, in the 4–2 home win at the St. Jakob-Park against Zurich on 16 April 2014. At the end of the 2013–14 Super League season Elneny won the league championship with Basel. They also reached the final of the 2013–14 Swiss Cup, but were beaten 2–0 by Zürich after extra time. During the 2013–14 Champions League season Basel reached the group stage and finished the group in third position. Thus they qualified for Europa League knockout phase and here they advanced as far as the quarter-finals. In their season 2013–14 Basel played a total of 68 matches (36 Swiss League fixtures, 6 Swiss Cup, 6 Champions League and 10 Europa League and 10 test matches). Elneny totaled 55 appearances, 32 League, 4 Cup, 6 Champions League and 6 Europa League as well 7 in the test games. He scored just that one goal in the league.
The season 2014–15 was a very successful one for Elneny and FC Basel. The championship was won for the sixth time in a row that season and in the 2014–15 Swiss Cup they reached the final. But for the third season in a row, they finished as runners-up, losing 0–3 to FC Sion in the final. Basel entered the Champions League in the group stage and reached the knockout phase as on 9 December 2014 they managed a 1–1 draw at Anfield against Liverpool. But then Basel then lost to Porto in the Round of 16. Basel played a total of 65 matches (36 Swiss League fixtures, 6 Swiss Cup, 8 Champions League and 15 test matches). Under manager Paulo Sousa Elneny totaled 51 appearances, 29 in the Super League, 6 in the Cup and 7 in the Champions League, as well 9 in test games. He scored 5 goals in these matches.
Despite the fact that Elneny left the club during the winter break, under their new trainer Urs Fischer Basel won the Swiss Super League championship at the end of the 2015–16 Super League season. For Elneny it was the fourth title, for the club it was the seventh in a row and their 19th championship title in total.
On 13 January, after a 3–3 draw against Liverpool, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger confirmed the signing of Elneny from FC Basel. The following day, the transfer was officially confirmed by the club for an undisclosed fee reported to be somewhere between £5 million and £7.4 million. He was assigned the number 35 shirt for Arsenal. He made his debut for the club in a 2–1 win against Burnley in the fourth round of the FA Cup, on 30 January. Elneny scored his first Arsenal goal in the Champions League Round of 16 second leg defeat against FC Barcelona, and was later awarded Arsenal's Player of the Month award for March. He also starred in April combining well with Aaron Ramsey, winning the Arsenal's Player of the Month award for a second month. Elneny's only goal won him the goal of the season award for Arsenal.
- As of match played 1 January 2017
|El Mokawloon||2010–11||Egyptian Premier League||21||2||0||0||—||0||0||21||2|
|2011–12||Egyptian Premier League||14||0||0||0||—||0||0||14||0|
|Basel||2012–13||Swiss Super League||15||0||3||0||—||8||0||26||0|
|2013–14||Swiss Super League||32||1||4||0||—||12||0||48||1|
|2014–15||Swiss Super League||28||2||5||1||—||8||0||41||3|
|2015–16||Swiss Super League||16||2||2||1||—||9||2||27||5|
- Appearances in UEFA Champions League
- Swiss Super League: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15 2015–16
- Swiss Cup Runners-up: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15
- Uhren Cup: 2013.
- "Premier League Player Profile Mohamed Elneny". Barclays Premier League. 2016. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Hamdallah, Abu Bakr (30 December 2016). "قصة صعود «النني».. من شوارع المحلة إلى عاصمة الضباب للمزيد". Tahrir News.
- "Mohamed Elneny". Arsenal.
- "Egypt's Premier League cancelled". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 10 March 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- FC Basel 1893 (2013). "Der Ägypter Mohamed Elneny wechselt leihweise zum FCB" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Mosselhi, Mohamad (2013). "Arab Contractors midfielder Mohamed El-Nenny signs a six-month loan deal with Swiss side Basel". ahram.org.eg. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- King Fut (2013). "OFFICIAL: FC Basel sign Mohamed El-Nenny on loan". kingfut.com. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Schifferle, Michael (2013). "Season review: Switzerland". Eufa. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- SFV (2013). "Telegramm Schweizer Cup Final" (in German). Schweizerischer Fussballverband. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Haylett, Trevor (2013). "Basel take heart after Chelsea defeat". Eufa. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Elassal, Mahmoud (2013). "Basel take up option to buy Egypt's Elneny". ahramonline. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Marti, Caspar (2014). "Der FCB festigt seine Leaderposition mit einem 4:2 gegen den FCZ". FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Grossenbacher, Sacha (2014). "Fotos vom Spiel gegen Lausanne sowie den anschliessenden Feierlichkeiten" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Zindel, Josef (2014). Rotblau: Jahrbuch Saison 2014/2015. FC Basel Marketing AG. ISBN 978-3-7245-2027-6.
- Marti, Caspar (2015). "Der Meisterfreitag im bunten Zeitraffer". FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2015-05-29. (German)
- "Liverpool 1 Basel 1". BBC Sport. 10 December 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Zindel, Josef (2015). Rotblau: Jahrbuch Saison 2015/2016. FC Basel Marketing AG. ISBN 978-3-7245-2050-4.
- Marti, Casper (2016). "Es ist vollbracht ! Der FCB ist zum 19. Mal Meister". FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- "Mohamed Elneny: Arsenal confirm signing from Basel". BBC Sport. 14 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Mohamed Elneny joins Arsenal". Arsenal F.C. 14 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Confirmed: Arsenal finally announce signing of midfielder Mohamed Elneny". Daily Express. 14 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Mohamed Elneny: Player Profile Arsenal". Arsenal F.C. 14 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- Flanagan, Chris (30 January 2016). "Why Elneny impressed on debut: 5 things from Arsenal 2-1 Burnley". FourFourTwo. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Elneny tops Goal of the Season poll". Arsenal F.C. 22 May 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "MOHAMED EL NENNY". Soccerway. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "FC Basel und Grasshopper Club Zürich am Uhrencup 2013" (in German). bielertagblatt.ch. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- WildStat.com - Uhrencup Alle Ergebnisse und Tabellen des Uhrencups seit 1962 per Abruf
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohamed Elneny.|