Mohamed Sheikh, Baron Sheikh
The Lord Sheikh
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
27 June 2006
|Born||13 June 1941|
|Education||City College of London|
Mohamed Iltaf Sheikh, Baron Sheikh of Cornhill is a British politician and businessman. He was formerly an insurance broker and underwriter.
Early life and professional career
Mohamed Sheikh was born in Kenya and raised in Uganda. He arrived in the UK in 1962 and later studied at the Holborn College of Law, Languages and Commerce and the City College of London. Lord Sheikh then received training at a major insurance company, Sun Alliance and London Group.
He is now the Chairman of companies relating to Property and other businesses.
Lord Sheikh was appointed a life peer in 2006 after he was nominated by Michael Howard MP, then Leader of the Conservative Party. The life barony conferred upon Mohamed Iltaf Sheikh was gazetted on 6 June 2006 by the name, style and title of Baron Sheikh, of Cornhill in the City of London.
He has founded and Co-Chairs the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Islamic and Ethical Finance in British Parliament. He is co-chair of the APPG on Turkey and the Prevention of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity. He is also a vice-chair of the APPGs on Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Kazakhstan and Tajikistan.
Sheikh first joined the Conservative Party in 2004. He founded the Conservative Muslim Forum and chaired it for several years. He is now President of the Forum, He sits on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords and he is actively involved in promoting the Conservative Party to ethnic minorities.
National Muslim War Memorial Trust
Lord Sheikh is the chairman and a founding member of the recently established National Muslim War Memorial Trust.
On 15 August 2018 MailOnline published an article headed "EXCLUSIVE: Top Tory Peer’s appearance at Corbyn's 'hate conference' in Tunisia comes after YEARS of rubbing shoulders with Islamists, hate preachers and Holocaust deniers".
- Sheikh, Mohamed (2017). Emperor of the five rivers: the life and times of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. London: I.B.Tauris. ISBN 978-1-84885-754-4. OCLC 894340672.
- Sheikh, Mohamed (2019). An Indian In The House: The lives and times of the four trailblazers who first brought India to the British Parliament. [S.l.]: Mereo Books. ISBN 978-1-86151-490-5. OCLC 1080075581.
- "About Lord Sheikh – Lord Sheikh". Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- "No. 58006". The London Gazette. 9 June 2006. p. 7933.
- "Conservative Muslim Forum – Promoting a party for all". Retrieved 4 November 2020.
- "President – Conservative Muslim Forum". Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- "National Muslim War Memorial Trust (NMWMT) – Lord Sheikh". Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Debrett's Peerage. 2019. p. 4349.
- "In the Media – Lord Sheikh". Retrieved 6 November 2020.
- "Lord Sheikh wins libel action against the Mail". Hamlins LLP London. 30 July 2020. Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- "Britain's Lord Iltaf Sheikh wins defamation case, Daily Mail publisher apologises". www.geo.tv. Retrieved 30 October 2020.