|Full name||Mohammad Yusef Mashriqi|
|Date of birth||July 7, 1987|
|Place of birth||Flushing, New York|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|1995–1996||Blau Weiss Gottschee|
|2005–2008||Long Island Blackbirds|
|2008–||New York Red Bulls|
|2010||Jersey Express S.C.|
|2015||United Cyclones Soccer Club|
|2001||United States U15|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of February 01, 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of February 01, 2016
Mohammad Yusef Mashriqi (born 7 July 1987) is an Afghan footballer who is a free agent and is playing for the Afghanistan national football team.
Mashriqi's soccer lineage started with his father, Tahir, a former member of the Afghanistan national team. When communists took control of his country during the 10-year Afghanistan War, soccer took a back seat to survival for Tahir and his wife, Safora, and their son Sabir and daughter, Sabira, who were 5 and 3 at the time. Tahir took his family and fled to Pakistan. They reached the U.S. Embassy, and in 1985 they were safely in the United States. After settling in the Flushing, New York area, Mohammad was born two years later, in 1987.
Youth and college
Mashriqi attended Flushing High School and from the age of nine played for the famed Blau Weiss Gottschee club in New York, winning four State Cup championships. He was a member of his regional ODP from 2001 to 2005, and played for the Brooklyn Knights in the USL Super-Y League, helping them reach the national semifinals. He played four years of college soccer at Long Island University
Mashriqi trained with the Under-17 squad of prestigious club Paris Saint-Germain, and with the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer during their 2008 pre-season.Mashriqi is currently a part of the reserve squad for New York Red Bulls which plays in the MLS Reserve Division, while simultaneously playing for New York-area amateur team Brishna F.C..
He played in both of Afghanistan's qualifying games for the 2014 FIFA World Cup against Palestine in July 2011, and scored his first international goal for Afghanistan in its 8–1 victory over Bhutan in the quarter finals of the 2011 SAFF Championship on December 7, 2011.
After being absent for almost 2 years Mashriqi was called up for the friendly match against Malaysia in October 2016.
- "Five Boro Sports". fiveborosports.com. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Mohammed Mashriqi - 2008 Men's Soccer". liuathletics.com. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Flushing's Mashriqi named to national team". timesledger.com. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- FIFA.com. "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ - Matches - Palestine-Afghanistan - FIFA.com". fifa.com. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- FIFA.com. "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ - Matches - Afghanistan-Palestine - FIFA.com". fifa.com. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Breaking his duck: Mashriqi scores 1st international goal in Afghanistan's 8–1 Cup win". bigapplesoccer.com. Retrieved 19 January 2017.