9 March 1964 |
Mohan Rana (Hindi: मोहन राणा; born 9 March 1964) is a Hindi language poet from India. He has published eight poetry collections in Hindi. His poems have been translated Hindi by the Poetry Translation Centre.
The poet and critic, Nand Kishore Acharya, has written about Mohan Rana's poetry that,
"Amongst the new generation of Hindi poets, the poetry of Mohan Rana stands alone; it defies any categorisation. However, its refusal to fit any ideology doesn't mean that Mohan Rana's poetry shies away from thinking - but that it knows the difference between thinking in verse and thinking about poetry. For Mohan Rana the poetic process in itself is also thought process".
A bilingual chapbook "Poems", an eclectic selection of fifteen poems, translated from Hindi by Lucy Rosenstein and Bernard O'Donoghue was published by the poetry translations center London in June 2011. Sarah Maguire writes, ‘Mohan Rana’s vivid and accessible poems probe profound philosophical questions through the simple, everyday imagery of stars, birds, rain and shirts. These deceptively understated, haunting poems, have been beautifully rendered into English by the distinguished Irish poet, Bernard O’Donoghue, working closely with the translator, Lucy Rosenstein and Mohan himself.’
The Chapbook "Poems" was world literature tour recommendation in the Guardian, "His poems offer an intriguing bridge between two cultures; a sense of dislocation alongside a sense of place." The Guardian world literature tour recommendations: India
- Jagah (Dwelling 1994)
- Jaise Janam Koi Darwaza (As If Life Were a Door, 1997)
- Subah ki Dak (Morning's Post, 2002)
- Is Chhor Par (On This Shore, 2003)
- Pathar Ho Jayegi Nadi (Stone-River, 2007)
- Dhoop Ke Andhere (In the Darkness of the Sun, 2008) 
- Ret ka Pul (Bridge of Sand, 2012) 
- Shesh Anek (Much Remains, 2016)
- "Poet Mohan Rana - Poetry Translation Centre". Poetry Translation.org. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Mohan Rana". whitechapelgallery.org. 2010-02-04. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Mohan Rana". Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- Mohan Rana Podcast: recorded live at the Whitechapel Gallery in London- Thursday 4 February 2010.
- Listen to Mohan Rana reading his poetry - a British Library recording, 12 March 2010.
- Poem Podcast: A Standard Shirt - Thursday 28 April 2016.
- Mohan Rana Poem Podcast: As the Past Approached - Thursday 9 June 2016.
|This article about a poet from India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|