This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
El Mohandessin Government Building
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EST)|
Mohandessin (Arabic: المهندسين El Mohandisīn pronounced [elmohændɪˈsiːn], "The Engineers"), is a area in the municipal division of Agouza in the governorate of Giza. Its name means in Arabic literally the engineers, which was because it was given to at cheaper prices to engineers in Egypt; there is a similar area in Muhandisin called Ṣaḥafiyyīn (journalists), Mu‘allimīn (teachers), and Aṭibbā’ (doctors), all designed for people with these professions.
Mohandessin was built in the early 1950s. It was built over agriculture land and was a massive area of villas, and mansions. However, in the 1970s, the population increased dramatically, and the once rich villas neighborhood turned into crowded apartment blocks. In the last 10 years, Mohandessin became the most expensive districts to live in real estates. Apartments have a cost of about EGP 12,000 (USD 2000) per square meter.
A major street that is intersecting the neighborhood called Gam'et el Duwal el Arabya (Arab League Blvd.). The main shopping area in Mohandesin is called Sour Nadi el Zamalik, which is a magnetic location for Arab Tourists that visit Cairo in the summer and on vacations. Also a new state of the art mall in Shehab street was constructed and currently operating, it is called Platinum Mall. Several sporting clubs are also to found there, including Tersana, El Zamalek, and The Shooting Club (or The Hunting Club, Nadi 'L Seid).
Mohandessin, is considered to be one of the most prestigious and expensive areas in Greater Giza.
Although Mohandessin does not have as much monuments and historical buildings as other districts in Giza, it enjoys being a leading district in shops, restaurants and cafés. Most international franchises, which opened in Egypt, with over 200 stores operating 18 hours a day. There are several cinemas in Mohandessin catering to the district's population.
Mohandessin is home to many foreign embassies in Egypt.
When it comes to Religion & Spirituality, Mohandessin hosts a diverse population which required several Mosques and Churches, yet the majority of the residents adopt Islam, with several important mosques located there, such as Chazliya Mosque, and Mostafa Mahmoud Mosque, as well as Tarik Ibn-Al Walid Mosque.
Yet in Major Celebrations, the rich residents of Mohandesin tend to pray in the Shooting Club Mosque, while the surrounding poorer areas of Mohandesin, pray in the Larger Mostafa Mahmoud Mosque.
Notable people that were born or lived there:
- Amr Moussa (1936–present), Former Secretary-General of the Arab League.
- Naguib Mahfouz (1911–2006), Nobel Prize in Literature Laureate.
- Adel Emam (1940–present), Prominent Arab actor.
- Atef Ebeid (1932–present), Former Egyptian Prime Minister.
- Ahmad Zaki (1949–2005), Prominent Egyptian actor.
- Mahmood Yessin Prominent Egyptian actor.
- Amr Khalid,(1967–Present) Islamic Preacher, ranked 6th most influential intellectual in the world by Prospect magazine
- Bassem Youssef, Television host
- Habib El Adly (1938–2011), The Former Minister of Interior.
- Hamdeen Sabahi Prominent Socialist Politician, former Presidential Candidate.
- Hazem Salah Abu Ismail Prominent Islamist Politician, and Sheikh.
- Sami Halim Abdelmalek Prominent undersecretary of agriculture, professor and diplomat.
- Ali Salem (1936–2015) Playwright, author, and political commentator.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohandessin.|
- Dokki and Mohandiseen travel guide from Wikivoyage