Mohd Fahmi Aliman
|محمد فهمى عليمن|
|Mayor of South East District|
|Assumed office |
27 July 2020
|Prime Minister||Lee Hsien Loong|
|Preceded by||Maliki Osman|
|Member of Parliament|
for Marine Parade GRC
|Assumed office |
10 July 2020
|Preceded by||Fatimah Lateef|
|Born||1972 (age 49–50)|
|Political party||People's Action Party|
|Spouse||Rohana Mohd Salleh|
|Alma mater||University of Liverpool (BEng)|
National University of Singapore
|Years of service||1993–2019|
|Battles/wars||Aceh Monitoring Mission|
War in Afghanistan
Mohd Fahmi bin Aliman (Jawi: محمد فهمى عليمن; born 1972) is a Singaporean politician who has been serving as Mayor of South East District since 2020. A member of the governing People's Action Party (PAP), he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Geylang Serai division of Marine Parade GRC since 2020.
Early life and education
Fahmi subsequently went on to complete a Bachelor of Engineering with honours degree at the University of Liverpool. He also has a graduate diploma from the National University of Singapore in defence technological science.
Fahmi served in the Singapore Army for 26 years and attained the rank Colonel. He was deployed for six months to Blangpidie, Sumatra, Indonesia for the Aceh Monitoring Mission in 2005, and six months in Kabul, Afghanistan in 2012 as part of Singapore's contribution to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF). He was awarded Pingat Penghargaan (Tentera) in 2014 and Long Service Medal (Military) in 2017.
In 2019, Fahmi left the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) and had a brief stint as the deputy chief executive of Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura (MUIS), before leaving to join the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) as Director of the Administration and Research Unit in March 2020.
Fahmi made his political debut in the 2020 general election as part of a five-member PAP team contesting in Marine Parade GRC against the Workers' Party. His running mates were Tan Chuan-Jin, Seah Kian Peng, Tan See Leng, and Edwin Tong. On 11 July 2020, he was elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Geylang Serai ward of Marine Parade GRC after the PAP team garnered 57.76% of the valid votes.
Fahmi is married to Rohana Mohd Salleh, a teacher. They have three sons and a daughter.
- "MP | Parliament of Singapore".
- "Who is Fahmi Aliman, NTUC's newest recruit?". Unscrambled.sg. 3 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "GE2020: PAP's new prospective candidates include former public servants, lawyer and banker". CNA. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "Calon PAP Fahmi Aliman mahu perjuang nasib pekerja gaji rendah dalam khidmat penting - BERITA MediaCorp". BERITA Mediacorp – Berita Terkini, Melayu, Muslim, Islam, Singapura, Dunia. (in Malay). Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- Singapore, Prime Minister's Office (17 November 2018). "PMO | Recipients". Prime Minister's Office Singapore. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- hermesauto (30 June 2020). "Singapore GE2020: PAP team led by Tan Chuan-Jin to face WP team in Marine Parade GRC". The Straits Times. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- hermesauto (11 July 2020). "GE2020 official results: PAP retains Marine Parade GRC with 57.76% of votes". The Straits Times. Retrieved 13 July 2020.