Mohd Khalil Yaakob
|Tuan Yang Terutama
Tun Datuk Seri Utama Dr
Mohd Khalil Yaakob
|6th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Melaka|
4 June 2004
|Preceded by||Syed Ahmad bin Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin|
|Malaysian Minister of Information|
|Succeeded by||Abdul Kadir Sheikh Fadzir|
|Menteri Besar of Pahang|
14 August 1986 – 22 May 1999
|Preceded by||Najib Tun Razak|
|Succeeded by||Adnan Yaakob|
|Born||Mohd Khalil bin Yaakob
29 December 1937
Kuantan, Pahang, Federated Malay States
|Political party||United Malays National Organisation (UMNO)|
|Spouse(s)||Toh Puan Datuk Seri Utama Zurina Kassim|
|Alma mater||University of Malaya|
Tun Datuk Seri Utama Dr. Mohd Khalil bin Yaakob (born 1937) is the Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of the Malaysian state of Melaka. Khalil is a United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) politician from Pahang, and served as the state's Menteri Besar for more than 10 years. He was appointed as Governor in 2004 by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
Born in Kuantan, Khalil attended Malay College Kuala Kangsar and later graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Malaya. He was a career diplomat and served in Italy, Morocco, Singapore and Indonesia.
His was first elected to the Bukit Ibam state seat in the Pahang State Assembly during the 1978 general elections. In 1982, he won the Maran parliamentary seat and was appointed Deputy Minister of Education. He joined the Cabinet in 1984, serving as Minister in the Prime Minister's Department.
Khalil won the Bukit Tajau state seat in the 1986 general elections, and became Menteri Besar of Pahang. He served for three terms, until 1999. In the 1999 general elections, he rejoined federal politics and was elected as Member of Parliament for Kuantan. He was appointed Minister of Information but did not contest the next election, held in 2004.
In April 2001, a police report was lodged by Pahang state assemblyman Fauzi Abdul Rahman alleging that Mohd Khalil misappropriated state resources as Pahang Menteri Besar.
During his term as the Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor), Khalid's main goal was to make Malacca a progress state in the year 2010 and then "Green Technology City State" in the year 2013. He was also made Malacca City as the UNESCO's World Heritage Site on 7 July 2008.
Among state major projects under his reign included, Pulau Melaka, Malacca Straits Mosque, Hang Tuah Mall in Jalan Hang Tuah, Dataran Pahlawan Megamall, Menara Taming Sari, Hang Tuah Village in Duyong, Hang Tuah Jaya, Planetarium Melaka, Melaka Sentral, Melaka Monorail, UTC Melaka, upgrading the Malacca Airport in Batu Berendam into international airport, Melaka Gateway and Malacca coastal reclaimation land project.
Mohd Khalil is fan of Indian actor M. G. Ramachandran and Tamil cinema in general. In August 2011, he re-enacted MGR's role in the film Vettaikaaran in a 45-minute performance at the State Culture and Art Auditorium.
Honours and titles of Mohd Khalil Yaakob
He holds currently the title of "Tun Datuk Seri Utama" by combination of his highest Federal Malaysian title "Tun" (SMN) and his highest Malaccan title "Datuk Seri Utama" (DUNM)
In other states of Malaysia, a similar combination between his highest Federal Malaysian title "Tun" (SMN) and his local highest title may be used. Example : Tun Datuk Seri Panglima in Sabah.
Honours of Malacca
- As 6th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Malacca since 4 June 2004 :
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia :
- Kelantan :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Life of the Crown of Kelantan or "Star of Ismail" (SJMK) with title Dato'
- Pahang :
- Terengganu :
- Supreme class of the Order of Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin of Terengganu (SUMZ)
- Sabah :
- Grand Commander of the Order of Kinabalu (SPDK) with title Datuk Seri Panglima
- Sarawak :
- Knight Grand Commander (Datuk Patinggi) of the Order of the Star of Hornbill Sarawak (DP, ) with title Datuk Patinggi
- Germany : Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
Honours and titles of Zurina
His wife, Y.A.Bhg. Toh Puan Datuk Seri Utama Hajah Zurina Binti Kassim has been awarded :
She holds currently the title of "Toh Puan Datuk Seri Utama" by combination of Toh Puan, feminine form in respect of the highest Federal Malaysian title of her husband : "Tun" (SMN) and her highest Malaccan title "Datuk Seri Utama" (DUNM)
Honours of Malacca
- As wife of the 6th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Malacca :
- Grand Commander of the Premier and Exalted Order of Malacca (DUNM) with title Datuk Seri Utama
- Pahang :
- Grand Knight (or Datuk Sri) of the Order of the Crown of Pahang (SIMP) with title Datuk Sri
- The Sixth Speaker of Malacca
- Menon, Vijayan (24 October 1986). "Same policies, new modes". New Straits Times. Archived from the original on 30 December 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "TYT Tun Datuk Seri Utama Mohd Khalil B Yaakob". Melaka State Government. Retrieved 2 June 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Rashid Yusof (17 June 1999). "Coming election takes priority at 53rd Umno general assembly". New Straits Times.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Archived from the original on 6 September 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- Leong, Kar Yen (2 April 2011). "Power abuse: Don’t turn a blind eye, Rais tells Umno". Malaysiakini. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- KHALIL YAAKOB APPOINTED SIXTH MELAKA GOVERNOR Bernama (mirrored in findarticles.com). 27 May 2004
- R.S.N. Murali (15 August 2011). "Mohd Khalil wows crowd by acting as MGR". The Star. Archived from the original on 19 October 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- List of Malay rulers with orders details
- Official Website of the Governor of Malacca, Biography with details
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 2004." (PDF).
- List of consorts of Malay rulers (as of February 2013) with details of orders
Syed Ahmad Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
|Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Malacca
2004 – present