Mohican Township, Ashland County, Ohio
|Mohican Township, Ashland County, Ohio|
The Lakefork Schoolhouse, built 1880
Location of Mohican Township in Ashland County
|• Total||30.1 sq mi (77.9 km2)|
|• Land||30.0 sq mi (77.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,096 ft (334 m)|
|• Density||68/sq mi (26.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085710|
Mohican Township is one of the fifteen townships of Ashland County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,033 people in the township, 1,471 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Perry Township - north
- Chester Township, Wayne County - northeast corner
- Plain Township, Wayne County - east
- Clinton Township, Wayne County - southeast corner
- Lake Township - south
- Green Township - southwest corner
- Vermillion Township - west
- Montgomery Township - northwest corner
The village of Jeromesville is located in northwestern Mohican Township.
Name and history
It is the only Mohican Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mohican township, Ashland County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Baughman, Abraham J. (1909). History of Ashland County, Ohio, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. pp. 127–128.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.