Raina at the DVD launch of Devon Ke Dev — Mahadev, 2013
Mohit Raina (born 14 August 1982) is an Indian film and television actor. He started his acting career with a science fiction show Antariksh (2004) and later went on to play a role in Don Muthu Swami (2008). He is best known for the lead role of the Hindu god Shiva in the television series, Devon Ke Dev – Mahadev and Mahabharat, prior to which he had acted in television soap operas including Chehra (2009) and Ganga Kii Dheej (2010). In 2019, he made his Bollywood debut with the action thriller Uri - The Surgical Strike, which ranks among the highest-grossing Indian films of all time.
Early life and background
Raina was raised in Jammu, where he obtained a degree in commerce. He moved to Mumbai to begin a career in modeling. He hoped that modelling would provide him with a route into acting work and lost 29 kilograms (64 lb) from his teenage weight of 107 kilograms (236 lb) so that he could participate in the 2005 Grasim Mister India modelling contest. He was placed among the top five contestants in that competition.[clarification needed]
His acting career began in 2005 when he acted in a science ficn TV show called Antariksh. In 2008, he starred as JaiKishan in the comedy film Don Muthu Swami, which was not a success at the box office and caused him to return to television work. In 2009 he appeared in the Chehra TV series, a suspense drama revolving around a handicapped girl. Raina played her husband Garv, a young business tycoon. He was also a part of Bandini. In December 2010, Raina played the male lead in the show Ganga Kii Dheej.
In 2011, he was cast as the lead in Nikhil Sinha's Devon Ke Dev — Mahadev. The series focused on the god Shiva and portrays his journey from a hermit to a householder through his marriage to Sati and later to Parvati. Raina worked on improving his physique for the role, and started learning the Indian classical dance form Kathak, which is integral part of his role as Shiva. The Times of India said the role created fans due to his "fab abs, groovy smile and acting chops" He played over 30 different characters in the series, which ran for three years, ending in Dec 2014.
Raina has played the adult emperor Ashoka, in the historical serial Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat on Colors TV. The series started broadcasting from 2 May 2016. After Ashoka, Mohit Raina also played the lead role as Havildar Ishar Singh in 21 Sarfarosh - Saragarhi 1897 which is based on the Battle of Saragarhi.
Mohit Raina played the role of Major Karan Kashyap in the movie Uri: The Surgical Strike released On 11 January 2019.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2008||Don Muthu Swami||Jaikishan||Hindi|
|2019||Uri - The Surgical Strike||Major Karan Kashyap||Hindi|
|2006-07||Antariksh - Ek Amar Katha||Vikrant|
|2009||Chehra||Garv Dhanvat Rai|
|2010||Bandini||Rishabh Hiten Mahivanshi|
|2011||Ganga Kii Dheej||Agantuk|
|2011-14||Devon Ke Dev – Mahadev||Shiva|||
|2016||Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat||Ashoka|||
|2018||21 Sarfarosh - Saragarhi 1897||Havildar Ishar Singh|||
- Indian Telly Awards Best Actor In A Lead Role (Jury) (2013) Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev
- Star Guild Awards 2015 Best Actor In A Lead Role (2015) Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev
- "Mohit Raina confirmed as grown-up Ashoka; Ankit Arora also finalized".
- "Mohit Raina to play grown-up Ashoka in Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat".
- "Mohit Raina: No difference between big and small screen". indya.com. March 2009. Archived from the original on 22 March 2009.
- "Love to play a super hero on television: Mohit Raina". The Times of India. 8 February 2012.
- "Small screen Lord Shiva was a 107-kg teen". The Times Of India. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "'Mahadev' Mohit Raina". Hindustan Times. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Movie of the week : Don Muthuswami". The Tribune. 23 May 2008.
- "Mohit Raina's big break". The Times of India. 29 December 2011.
- "Mohit Raina to learn Kathak for serial". The Times of India. 24 February 2012.
- "Mythologicals slug it out with soaps on prime time band". The Times of India. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Devon Ke Dev Mahadev: the battle between evil and good". Hindustan Times. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Double roles make a comeback on TV". The Times of India. 20 May 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "After Mahadev, Mohit Raina Played Chakravartin Samrat Ashoka On Indian Television!". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Serial thrillers". The Telegraph. 3 September 2005. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Mohit Raina aka'Mahadev' in a double role again". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Confirmed: Mohit Raina to play grown-up Ashoka in 'Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat'". International Business Times. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "21 Sarfarosh Saragarhi 1897 first impression: Mohit Raina show evokes patriotism with impressive dialogues and performances". Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "12th Indian Telly Awards". Indiantelevision.com. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Star Guild Awards 2015".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohit Raina.|