||This article's introduction may be too long for the overall article length. (December 2013)|
|Origin||New Hope, PA|
|Genres||rock, hard rock, punk, heavy metal, lo-fi|
|Labels||Grand Royal, Sanctuary, Chocodog, Schnitzel Records, Neverman Records|
|Associated acts||Ween, Mondo Generator, Damp Tam|
|Members||Guy Heller (Dickie Moist), Mickey Melchiondo (Mickey Moist)|
Moistboyz is an American hard rock band formed in New Hope, Pennsylvania in 1991 by Guy Heller and Mickey Melchiondo. Moistboyz music is typically fast-paced punk/metal, combining stream-of-consciousness lyrics with aggressive rock guitar riffs. The band's current touring lineup includes Stephen Haas (guitar), as well as Mondo Generator rhythm section Nick Oliveri (bass) and Hoss Wright (drums).
As in Melchiondo's band Ween, both he and Heller assume aliases: Mickey Moist and Dickie Moist.
Moistboyz have released five studio records starting with the 1994 EP Moistboyz. A full-length album, Moistboyz II, followed in 1996. Recorded by Heller (vocals/lyrics) and Melchiondo (guitar/music) using drum machine and a lo-fi sensibility, both records were originally released on the Beastie Boys label, Grand Royal. In 2005, these first two records were combined and released as one album, Moistboyz I+II] on Sanctuary Records, now on Chocodog Records.
In 2013, Moistboyz V was released on Heller and Melchiondo's label, Neverman Records, distributed by MVD Audio. Recording started in late 2012 in New Hope, PA and finished in Lago Vista, TX in early 2013. It was produced and engineered by Melchiondo, and mixed by Stephen Haas. Moistboyz V covers multiple musical styles, such as the southern rock-influenced Down on the Farm and the alt ballad "My Time to Die". Guest musicians include Chuck Treece (drums) on "Protect and Serve", "Medusa", "Garbageman" and Joe Kramer (guitar) on "Protect and Serve", "Chickendick", "Down on the Farm" and "My Time to Die".
- Guy Heller (pka Dickie Moist)
- Mickey Melchiondo, Jr. (pka Mickey Moist)
Current touring members
Previous touring members
- Claude Coleman, Jr. (Ween, Amandla, Eagles of Death Metal)
- Dave Dreiwitz (Ween, Marco Benevento, Instant Death)
- Bill Fowler (Sound of Urchin)
- Chris Harfenist (Sound of Urchin)
- Jeff Pinkus (Butthole Surfers)
- Moistboyz (1994)
- Moistboyz II (1996)
- Moistboyz III (2002)
- Moistboyz IV (2005)
- Moistboyz V (2013)
- D'Angelo, Peter J. "Moistboyz II (review)". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Stokes, Lowe (1997). Moistboyz II (review). CMJ New Music Monthly Feb 1997. p. 38.
- Kutner, Rick. "Moistboyz III (review)". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Boffa, David. September 2005 "Moistboyz IV (review)" Check