Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Web search engine|
|Available in||English, French, German|
|Headquarters||Brighton, United Kingdom|
|Created by||Marc Smith|
|Alexa rank||158,166 (January 21, 2019[update])|
|Written in||C programming language|
In 2004, the Mojeek search engine started out as a personal project by Marc Smith at the Sussex Innovation Centre. The search technology was created from the ground up using mostly the C programming language and for much of its early life, the servers were run from Marc's bedroom. Mojeek was created with the aim of an independent and alternative search engine.
On 26 January 2011, it was highlighted as an alternative British-based search engine during a Parliamentary debate on UK internet search engines over, "allegations of manipulation of Google's search results, particularly the unfavourable treatment of its unpaid and sponsored results, and the preferential placement of [their] own services."
On 15 April 2015, the BBC's World Global Show and Radio 5 Live talked to Marc about the Mojeek search engine and the EU's decision to file a complaint against Google over alleged anti-competitive behaviour.
In 2017, in partnership with EMRAYS Technologies, Mojeek launched a demo of their emotional search engine which allows users to search for pages with certain emotional content.
As Mojeek is a crawler-based search engine, it provides independent search results using its own index of web pages, rather than using results from other mainstream search engines. According to some the results generated are unbiased which may well better represent the information available.
- "Mojeek.com Traffic Statistics". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Top 10 Search Engines in the UK 18-03-25
- More than £1.5 billion of revenue passes through servers held at Custodian Data Centre, the high-security site in Maidstone, Kent Online, 17-03-02
- Expert Internet Searching: Fifth edition ISBN 978-1-78330-249-9
- Mojeek the British alternative search engine, 18-09-05
- Mojeek the alternative search engine, eBuyer, 18-06-12
- Companies House register, 09-05-28
- UK Internet Search Engines, Daily Hansard Column 138WH, 11-01-26
- Mojeek Colocation Case Study, Custodian Data Centre, 18-06-30
- Mojeek is a privacy-focused, unbiased Google search alternative, Android Headlines, 18-08-16
- Mojeek interviewed on BBC, Mojeek blog, 15-04-20
- Psycho-Surfing: Startup Brings Artificial Emotional Intelligence to the Web, Nvidia, 17-07-14
- Have it your way with the Mojeek search engine, Pandia Search & Social, 06-02-08
- Survey and evaluation of web search engine hit counts as research tools in computational linguistics, Science Direct, 17-12-20
- GOOGLE and the ‘adjustment’ of inconvenient viewpoints, especially climate, Watts Up With That? Blog, 18-07-29
- Alternative Search Engines, Steve Shank blog, 17-11-01
- New Search Engines in 2006, Ariadne web magazine for information professionals
- Phil Bradley’s weblog
- Alternative Search Engines That Respect Your Privacy, 12Bytes.org, 18-10-03