|Genres||Blues, soul, rhythm and blues, pop|
Off Label Records
|Associated acts||Mojo Juju & The Snake Oil Merchants|
Ergo B. Bag and His All Action All Stars
The Cactus Chanel
Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes
Mojo "Juju" Ruiz de Luzuriaga (born 1983) is an Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist.
Prior to her solo career, Mojo Juju fronted a band called Mojo Juju & The Snake Oil Merchants from 2006 until 2010. The band released two independent albums, Mojo Juju & The Snake Oil Merchants (2007) and Sellin' You Salvation (2009).
Mojo Juju released her eponymous debut solo album in 2012, on ABC Music. It was also released in Japan by P-Vine Records.
Her second solo album, Seeing Red/Feeling Blue, was released in 2015. The album featured Hip-Hop producer Ptero Stylus at the helm. Following the release of the album, she was nominated in The Age/Music Victoria Awards for Best Female Artist, with Seeing Red/Feeling Blue nominated for Best Soul/R&B album.
A compilation of earlier material, Mojo Juju & The Snake Oil Merchants – Anthology, was released in 2015 on European label Off-Label Records. This coincided with the release of German film Bestefreunde. The film soundtrack was composed entirely of songs from Mojo's back catalogue.
Mojo Juju's live shows feature a revolving line up of backing musicians. Her most consistent collaborator and bandmate is her brother Steven Ruiz de Luzuriaga (drum kit). Mojo's current full band ensemble also features her brother, along with Darcy McNulty (Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes) on Baritone Sax, and several members of Melbourne-based instrumental soul group The Cactus Channel (Lewis Coleman on keys, Henry Jenkins on bass, and occasionally Hudson Whitlock on drums/percussion).
She has toured with Tony Joe White (US), Kitty, Daisy & Lewis (UK), Pink Martini (US), Imelda May (UK), Reverend Horton Heat (US), Nick Waterhouse (US), and has also performed alongside Australian artists including C.W. Stoneking, Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes, Hiatus Kaiyote, Ella Hooper, Harry Angus, Emma Donovan and more.
Her music has been featured in a number of television shows including Underbelly: Razor, Underbelly: Squizzy and Roadtrip Nation.
- Mojo Juju (2012, ABC Music/P-Vine Records; Japan only)
- Seeing Red/Feeling Blue (2015, ABC Music)
- Native Tongue (2018, ABC Music) AUS No. 76
- "Horse Named Regret" (2011, independent)
- "Must Be Desire" (2012, ABC Music)
- "Psycho" (2013, ABC Music)
- "A Heart Is Not a Yo-Yo" (2014, ABC Music)
- "They Come & They Go" (2015, ABC Music)
- "Think Twice" (2017, ABC Music)
- "Native Tongue" (2018, ABC Music)
- "Mojo Juju & the Snake Oil Merchants". triple j Unearthed. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "off label records :: Artists :: Mojo Juju & The Snake Oil Merchants". www.offlabelrecords.de. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "The Age Music Victoria Awards: Courtney Barnett wins four categories". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "MOJO JUJU National Tour Announced + New Album 'SEEING RED/FEELING BLUE' Out Now!". ABC Music. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Mojo Juju - Mushroom Music Publishing". Mushroom Music Publishing. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "ARIA Chart Watch #488". auspOp. 1 September 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.