|Original title||Dicționar Moldovenesc-Românesc|
The Moldovan–Romanian dictionary (Dicționar Moldovenesc-Românesc) is a dictionary compiled by Vasile Stati and published in Chișinău, Moldova, in 2003 that contains 19,000 Moldovan words that are explained in Romanian. Its publishing was followed by a wave of criticism both in the Republic of Moldova and in Romania.
The idea of a dictionary might have come when the Romanian president, Ion Iliescu, said that he would believe that Moldovan is a different language from Romanian when he had a Moldovan–Romanian dictionary in his hands.
The dictionary includes:
- words that are common in Romanian, thus, are clearly not Moldovan-only;
- regional words found in Moldova, most of which are also used in the neighbouring Romanian region of Moldova;
- archaic Romanian words, taken from various old documents, which are no longer in use in Romania;
- Russian words, spoken colloquially in Moldova, that are not part of the current official Moldovan language.
- Un monument al minciunii și al urii – 'Dicționarul moldovenesc-românesc' al lui Vasile Stati in Contrafort magazine, no. 7-8 (105-106) / July–August 2003
- "Se sparie gândul..." in 22 magazine, no. 704 / 2–8 September 2003
- "Un dunduc cu funduc". Jurnal de Chișinău. Archived from the original on 2007-02-27.