Mole Mania, known in Japan as Mogurānya (モグラ〜ニャ), is a 1996 video game developed by Nintendo EAD and Pax Softnica, and published by Nintendo for the original Game Boy. It is also one of the least known works of Shigeru Miyamoto. The game was re-released for the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console in all major regions throughout 2012.
The story involves a mole named Muddy Mole (known in Japan as Mogurānya (モグラ〜ニャ), whose wife and children have been kidnapped by the farmer, Jinbe. Muddy has to go find his wife and children by finding his way through puzzle based worlds.
In the game, Muddy has to move a black ball to a gate at the end of the screen in order to get to the next screen. He can push, pull, and throw the black ball. Muddy can also dig into soft ground to find underground paths around obstacles. Choosing where to dig is a crucial element of the game's various puzzles, as creating holes in the wrong areas could hinder the player's efforts to advance. Dropping the ball into a hole would cause it to return to its starting point. Given the nature of Muddy's ability to move the ball, digging holes in the wrong places could make reaching the gate with the ball completely impossible, requiring Muddy to leave the screen and then return to try again. Along the way, there are many obstacles, such as moving enemies, pipes, barrels, weights, and bosses.
- Nintendo Japan published Game Boy Japanese listing (in Japanese). Nintendo. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "Game Boy (original) Games" (PDF). Nintendo. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-15. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "Mole Mania". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- Philip J Reed (2012-07-28). "Mole Mania Review". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- Shane Jury (2012-10-27). "Mole Mania (Game Boy) Review". Cubed3. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- Jason Cipriano (2012-07-20). "'Mole Mania' Review - Digging Deep". MTV. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "1UP's Hands-On with Forgotten Nintendo Classic Mole Mania". 1UP.com. YouTube. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2018-01-06.