|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Molluscicides (/, /), also known as snail baits and snail pellets, are pesticides against molluscs, which are usually used in agriculture or gardening, in order to control gastropod pests specifically slugs and snails which damage crops or other valued plants by feeding on them.
A number of chemicals can be employed as a molluscicide:
- Metal salts such as iron(III) phosphate and aluminium sulfate, relatively non-toxic, also used in organic gardening
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, highly toxic to other animals and humans, acts also as a contact poison
Metal salt-based molluscicides are not toxic to higher animals. However, metaldehyde-based and especially acetylcholinesterase inhibitor-based products are highly toxic, and have resulted in many deaths of pets and humans. Some products contain a bittering agent that reduces but does not eliminate the risk of accidental poisoning. Anticholinergic drugs such as atropine can be used as an antidote for acetylcholinesterase inhibitor poisoning. There is no antidote for metaldehyde, the treatment is symptomatic.
Methiocarb can cause acute toxicity to people exposed to it for long periods of time and will also poison water organisms.
- Overview of potential piscicides and molluscicides for controlling aquatic pest species in New Zealand 
- National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) Information about pesticide-related topics.
- Get Rid of Slugs and Snails, Not Puppy Tails! Case Profile - National Pesticide Information Center
- Slugs and Snails - National Pesticide Information Center
- Snail bait and dogs
- Snail Bait Poisoning
- Safety in the Garden
- Metaldehyde toxicity
- Iron phosphate: The first honestly effective snail & slug bait
|This ecology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This gastropod-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|