Mary Day Thacher
December 16, 1906
Orange, New Jersey, U.S.
|Died||December 14, 1963 (aged 56)|
New York City, U.S.
|Children||4, including Nicholas Kazan|
|Relatives||Zoe Kazan (granddaughter)|
Maya Kazan (granddaughter)
Molly Day Kazan (December 16, 1906 – December 14, 1963) was an American dramatist and playwright.
Kazan was born in Orange, New Jersey, the daughter of Emma Cecelia (née Erkenbrecher) and Alfred Beaumont Thacher, a lawyer. Her grandparents were Elizabeth (Day) and Thomas Anthony Thacher, a classicist and college administrator. Her uncle, Thomas Thacher, was a lawyer. She was the first wife of film director Elia Kazan.
She wrote the following plays:
- The Egghead
- The Alligator
She died in 1963, two days before her 57th birthday, in Bellevue Hospital in New York City following a cerebral hemorrhage. She was survived by her husband and four children, including the playwright Nicholas Kazan. Her granddaughter is actress Zoe Kazan.
- Yale University. Class of 1874; Farnam, H.W. (1912). Biographical Record of the Class of 1874 in Yale College: Part Fourth, 1874-1909. Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Company. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Roberts, G.B.; Dearborn, D.C. (1998). Notable kin: an anthology of columns first published in the NEHGS nexus, 1986-1995. 2. Published in cooperation with the New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts, by Carl Boyer, 3rd. ISBN 9780936124209. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Thacher, E.J. (1980). Thomas Thacher, 1620-1678, Boston branch, progenitors and descendants. Thacher. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Theatre World (Season 1962–1963) obituary. Library of Congress Catalog Card #46-13321.
- Who’s Who of American Women, 1st ad. (1958–59), p. 679 (re Molly Thacher Kazan)
- Yale University Obituary Record of Graduates Deceased During the Year Ending July 1, 1928, pp. 58–59 (re Alfred Beaumont Thacher)
- Biographical and Historical Record of the Class of 1835 in Yale College for the Fifty Years from the Admission of the Class to College (1881), pp. 165–68 (re Thomas Anthony Thacher)
- C.T. Cobb, L.E. Thacher, & D.W. Allen, Genealogy and Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of Thomas and Anthony Thacher (1872), pp. 12–15.