Molly Wood (February 2010)
Molly Kristin Wood
May 23, 1975
|Education||University of Montana|
|Known for||Marketplace, Marketplace Tech, podcasting|
Molly Kristin Wood (born May 23, 1975) is the tech correspondent and backup host with Marketplace. She also co-hosts the spinoff podcast Make Me Smart with Kai Ryssdal. She has previously held positions as an executive editor at CNET.com as well as a writer for the Associated Press, MacHome Journal magazine, O'Reilly Media, and the deputy technology editor for the Business Day section of the New York Times. Wood hosted the "Gadgettes" podcast with Kelly Morrison and "The Buzz Report", a technology video news column that was published weekly. She has appeared in mainstream media shows such as Live! With Regis and Kelly, American Public Media's Marketplace, and CNBC's On the Money and was the co-host of the Buzz Out Loud podcast with Tom Merritt, then Brian Tong, which ended in early 2012.
Molly Wood was born in Helena, Montana. She has a BA in journalism with a major in French from the University of Montana-Missoula. During her senior year (June 1996 - May 1997) she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Montana Kaimin, the daily student newspaper of the University of Montana. Upon graduation, she took a job as a reporter at The Missoulian. In July 1997, she joined the Associated Press, handling a variety of both general news and sports stories in the Western United States.
Wood is well known for being the host of CNET tech show Always On, in addition to her podcast It's a Thing, an effort reuniting her with former BOL co-host Tom Merritt. She is also a guest commentator for American Public Media's programs Marketplace and the Marketplace Morning Report. On October 7, 2013, Wood announced she would leave CNET at the end of that month in order to pursue independent projects. She took part in several panels at CES 2014. In January 2014, Wood announced via her personal blog that she will be joining the New York Times.
In March 2015, just over a year after joining the Times, she announced that she was leaving to report and serve as a Silicon Valley correspondent, along with occasional hosting, for American Public Media's Marketplace, a set of public radio programs about business and the economy. Together with Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal, Wood began hosting the Marketplace podcast Make Me Smart with Kai and Molly on November 28, 2016.  On September 5, 2017, Wood began hosting the weekday Marketplace Tech program in addition to her role as correspondent with Marketplace. 
Molly Wood and Tom Merritt (2007-10-12). "Buzz Out Loud 581: The Final EULA!". http://bol.cnet.com (Podcast). Retrieved November 11, 2007. External link in
- "Molly Wood Marketplace.org". Marketplace.org. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- "Molly Wood Joins New York Times". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- "CNET launches Podcast Central". The Online Reporter (494): 10. 2006-05-27. Retrieved 2007-11-23.
- "Molly Wood Guest Commentator". Marketplace.org. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Wood, Molly (2013-10-07). "Next steps and new adventures". Molly Rants. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "I'm Going To The New York Times!". themolly.com. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Next stop: Radio. I'm going to Marketplace!". themolly.com. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- Ryssdal, Kai (2016-11-28). "Introducing "Make Me Smart with Kai and Molly"". Marketplace. American Public Media. Retrieved 2018-02-13.
- Wood, Molly (2017-08-30). "Introducing the new voice of Marketplace Tech: Molly Wood". Marketplace. American Public Media. Retrieved 13 February 2018.