Momentum (Joshua Redman album)
|Studio album by Joshua Redman|
|Studio||Bennett Studios, Englewood, NJ|
Royaltone Studios, North Hollywood, CA
Sear Sound Studios, New York, NY
|Producer||Joshua Redman, Sam Yahel|
|Joshua Redman chronology|
|All About Jazz|||
Matt Collar of Allmusic wrote "Once again featuring the expansive keyboard talents of Sam Yahel, saxophonist Joshua Redman's Momentum features more of the '70s-influenced jazz the former "young lion" experimented with on 2002's Elastic. Bringing to mind works by such iconic artists as Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, and especially Eddie Harris, Redman digs into sundry groove-oriented tracks such as the driving and punchy "Sweet Nasty," which finds Yahel and Redman soloing hard over drummer Jeff Ballard's James Brown-ready dance beat. Redman conscribes some heavy sidemen to help stir the funk this time around with bassists Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and jazz-pop iconoclast Me'Shell NdegéOcello adding their signature styles to their respective tracks. Similarly, Roots drummer Questlove, drummer Brian Blade, vibraphonist Stefon Harris, and guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkle contribute much with appearances here. However, it is organist Yahel who sets the musical tone for the whole album, adding in bubbly ambient synth sounds, clavinet, and Rhodes piano throughout. With all these talents at Redman's disposal it is disappointing that Momentum isn't more adventurous. When set next to such classics of '70s funk as Davis' On the Corner or Hancock's Head Hunters, Redman's album is just too polite and controlled to really live up to such comparisons."
- "Sweet Nasty"
- "Just a Moment"
- "Shut Your Mouth"
- "The Crunge" (Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant)
- "Riverwide" (Sheryl Crow)
- "Greasy G"
- "Lonely Woman" (Ornette Coleman)
- "Blowing Changes"
- "Double Jeopardy"
- "Put It in Your Pocket"
- Joshua Redman – tenor saxophone, keyboards
- Nicholas Payton – trumpet
- Sam Yahel – keyboards
- Stefon Harris – vibraphone
- Peter Bernstein – guitar
- Eric Krasno – guitar
- Jeff Parker – guitar
- Kurt Rosenwinkel – guitar
- Flea – bass guitar
- Meshell Ndegeocello – bass guitar
- Jeff Ballard – drums
- Brian Blade – drums
- Questlove – drums
- "Joshua Redman Elastic Band Momentum". Allmusic. allmusic.com. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- KELMAN, JOHN (May 22, 2005). "Joshua Redman Elastic Band: Momentum". All About Jazz. allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "Joshua Redman Elastic Band – Momentum". Discogs. discogs.com. Retrieved 15 January 2018.