Monaco at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Monaco at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Comité Olympique Monégasque|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||3 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Brice Etès|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Monaco competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 5 to 21 August 2016. Since the nation's official debut in 1920, Monegasque athletes have appeared in every edition of the Summer Olympic Games throughout the modern era, except for three occasions. Monaco did not attend the 1932 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles at the period of the worldwide Great Depression, failed to register any athletes at the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, and also joined the United States-led boycott when Moscow hosted the 1980 Summer Olympics.
Monegasque Olympic Committee (French: Comité Olympique Monégasque, COM) selected a team of three male athletes to compete each in track and field, judo, and artistic gymnastics (the nation's Olympic return after nine decades) at the Games, failing to register women for the first time since the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. Middle-distance runner and London 2012 Olympian Brice Etès (men's 800 m) served as the nation's flag bearer and the only Monegasque athlete to lead the delegation in the opening ceremony, as both artistic gymnast Kevin Crovetto and judoka Yann Siccardi decided to prepare for their competition on the first day of the Games.
Before Rio de Janeiro, Monegasque athletes yielded a bronze medal won by architect Julien Médécin in 1924. Monaco, however, did not win its first Olympic medal for nearly nine decades.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track and road events
|Brice Etès||Men's 800 m||1:50.40||8||Did not advance|
|Kevin Crovetto||All-around||12.858||11.800||12.866||13.166||12.700||12.666||76.056||49||Did not advance|
Monaco has received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a judoka competing in the men's extra-lightweight category (60 kg) to the Olympics.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 64||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Repechage||Final / BM|
|Yann Siccardi||Men's −60 kg||Bye|| Takato (JPN)
|Did not advance|
- "The Flagbearers for the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Monaco's Olympic athletes presented". Monaco Life. 24 July 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Lists of Rio 2016 qualifiers updated in Artistic, Rhythmic and Trampoline Gymnastics". FIG. 26 April 2016. Retrieved 26 April 2016.