|Okhotsk Monbetsu Airport
Ohōtsuku Monbetsu Kūkō
|Location||8 km southeast of Monbetsu, Hokkaido|
|Elevation AMSL||58 ft / 18 m|
Source: Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
Monbetsu Airport (紋別空港 Monbetsu Kūkō) or Okhotsk Monbetsu Airport (オホーツク紋別空港 Ohōtsuku Monbetsu Kūkō) (IATA: MBE, ICAO: RJEB), is a third class airport located 3.8 NM (7.0 km; 4.4 mi) southeast of Monbetsu, a city on the Sea of Okhotsk in Hokkaidō, Japan. The airport is 15 minutes from the city center and accessible by bus from the Monbetsu Bus Terminal.
MBE is the newest airport in Hokkaidō: it opened in November 1999. The airport was originally used for general aviation flights. Flights were transferred from the original Monbetsu Airport, which was located closer to the city. Air Nippon inaugurated daily service to New Chitose Airport outside Sapporo that year, and added flights to Tokyo International Airport in 2000. The Sapporo service was moved to Okadama Airport in 2001 and discontinued entirely in 2003. For a short period between July and November, Hokkaido Air System offered one daily service to New Chitose Airport until 2011.
In fiscal year 2008, Monbetsu Airport recorded an operating loss of 273 million yen on total revenues (chiefly landing fees received from ANA) of only 26 million yen, making its operating losses the highest among the six airports operated by the Hokkaido government. In 2011, the Hokkaido government announced that landing fees would be waived for international charter flights using the airport in an attempt to lure more overseas tourists to the region.
In the winter of 2013, ANA again started services to Sapporo, flying a daily 737-700 flight to New Chitose Airport.
Airlines and destinations
The airport has a two-story, 1,993 m² terminal building which is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
|All Nippon Airways||Tokyo-Haneda|
- "Monbetsu Airport" (PDF). Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- AIS Japan
- "空港の沿革". オホーツク総合振興局. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "道の管理６空港、赤字９億５千万円 試算を公表". 日本経済新聞. 8 December 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "北海道管理の３空港、国際チャーター便の着陸料無料に". 日本経済新聞. 28 May 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "空港ターミナルビル". オホーツク総合振興局. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Monbetsu Airport.|
- (in Japanese) Okhotsk Monbetsu Airport at Monbetsu City website
- (in Japanese) Okhotsk Monbetsu Airport at Okhotsk General Subprefectural Bureau website
- (in Japanese) Okhotsk Monbetsu Airport terminal map from All Nippon Airways
- Current weather for RJEB at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for MBE at Aviation Safety Network