|George Mondo Kagonyera|
|Born||1941 (age 76–77)|
|Alma mater||Nairobi University|
(Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine)
University of California Davis
(Master of Science)
(Doctor of Philosophy)
|Occupation||Politician, veterinarian, academic, university administrator|
|Years active||1960 — present|
|Known for||academics, academic administration|
|Title||Chancellor of Makerere University|
George Mondo Kagonyera, also Mondo Kagonyera, is a Ugandan veterinarian, politician, academic, and university administrator. He is the immediate past chancellor of Makerere University, the oldest and largest university in Uganda. He was appointed to that position in 2007 by President Yoweri Museveni. After serving a full four year-term, he was re-appointed for another term in 2011, and was re-installed in January 2012.
Background and education
Kagonyera was born in Kabuga Village, Rukungiri District, in the Western Region of Uganda, circa 1941, to Zakaria Kagonyera and Elizabeth Kirihura. He attended Kigezi College Butobere for his O-Level studies, before he was admitted to Royal College Nairobi for his A-Level education. He studied at the University of Nairobi, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine in the early 1960s. Later, he went on to obtain a Master of Science in Veterinary Medicine, from the University of California Davis, followed by a Doctor of Philosophy from the same institution.
In 1967, he worked as a District Veterinary Officer for Masaka district for about five months which job he dropped to go for further studies. In 1971, following graduation from the University of California with his Master of Science degree, Kagonyera joined Makerere University as a lecturer. He was instrumental in establishing the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, which has since morphed into the College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources & BioSecurity. He also served as the chairman of the university appointments board from 1993 until 1999. He left the university to join Ugandan politics in 1998. As a politician, he served as the member of Parliament for Rubabo constituency in Rukungiri District and as a minister for general duties in the office of the prime minister. He also served as the deputy managing director of the Ugandan National Social Security Fund from 2006 until 2008.
- Agiro, Elizabeth (29 December 2007). "Uganda: Our Politicians - Professor Mondo Kagonyera". New Vision (Kampala) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Campus Times Staff, . (28 April 2014). "Profile of Professor Mondo Kagonyera, Makerere University Chancellor". Uganda Campus Times. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Businge, Conan (22 December 2011). "Kagonyera Re-Appointed Makerere Chancellor". New Vision Mobile. Archived from the original on 15 July 2015. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Alina, Marion (12 January 2012). "Professor George Mondo Kagonyera Installed As Makerere Chancellor". Makerere University, Office of the Vice Chancellor. Archived from the original on 8 February 2015. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Kasyate, Simon (25 May 2015). "Uganda: Who Is Professor Mondo Kagonyera?". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- Kisangala, Onghwens (18 December 2008). "Kagonyera Most Bruised In Surprise NSSF Sacking". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 25 May 2015.
Succession table as chancellor of Makerere University
2003 - 2007
| Chancellor of Makerere University
2007 - present