Mondrian Hotel on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California
|Location||West Hollywood, California|
|Address||8440 Sunset Blvd.|
|Owner||SBE Entertainment Group|
|Management||SBE Entertainment Group|
|Number of rooms||237|
The structure was built in 1959 as an apartment building. It was later renovated and reopened in 1985 as the Le Mondrian by the L'Ermitage Hotel Group. The outside of Le Mondrian featured a commissioned work by Yaacov Agam entitled L'Hommage a Mondrian which covered the hotel's 9 story exterior. As of November 2014 room rates begin at $365 per night.
Le Mondrian was later purchased by Ian Schrager and his Morgans Hotel Group in 1996 and renamed Mondrian Hotel Los Angeles. In 2008, Morgans Hotel Group commissioned designer Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz to update the hotel.
In April 2011, Morgans Hotel Group reached a deal to sell the Mondrian Los Angeles to Pebblebrook Hotel Trust for $137 million. Morgans Hotel Group will continue to manage the hotel under a 20-year agreement.
In popular culture
On December 4, 2007, rapper Pimp C was found dead in his room at the Mondrian Hotel in West Hollywood, California.
The lyrics to Dr. Dooom & Jacky Jasper's song "Neighbours Next Door", from First Come, First Served (1999), state: "Lookin' out your Mondrian Hotel window, like Elvis Presley coming down the elevator."
The lyrics to 50 Cent's song "Places to Go", from 8 Mile: Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture (2002), reference the hotel: "Matter of fact you gotta send it to Sunset Blvd up in the Mondrian"
In the third installment of the Family Guy's Star Wars parody, "Episode VI It's a trap", about 16:11 into the episode, the character played by Angela thanks her audience for meeting her "in the lobby of the Mondrian", drawing a comparison between the Mondrian Miami lobby's futuristic design and the interior of a Star Wars spaceship.
- "Yaacov Agam | Park West Gallery Artist". Bio.parkwestgallery.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "About Us - Information | Morgans Hotel Group Official Site". Morganshotelgroup.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Mondrian Los Angeles announces renovation". Hotelnewsnow.com. 2008-09-04. Archived from the original on 2012-03-10. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "UPDATE 1-Morgans Group to sell Los Angeles hotel for $137 mln". Reuters. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "SBE Entertainment Concludes Morgans Hotel Acquisition". The Wall Street Journal. December 1, 2016. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Star Trek Database". Startrek.com. 1999. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- 50 Cent (2002). "Places to Go". MetroLyrics. Retrieved September 16, 2019.