Mondrian Hotel on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California
|Location||West Hollywood, California|
|Address||8440 Sunset Blvd.|
|Owner||SBE Entertainment Group|
|Management||SBE Entertainment Group|
|Number of rooms||237|
Mondrian Los Angeles
The original Mondrian Hotel is located on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California. The structure was built in 1959 as an apartment building. It was later renovated and reopened in 1985 as the Le Mondrian by the L'Ermitage Hotel Group. The outside of Le Mondrian featured a commissioned work by Yaacov Agam entitled L'Hommage a Mondrian which covered the hotel's 9 story exterior. As of November 2014 room rates begin at $365 per night.
Le Mondrian was later purchased by Ian Schrager and his Morgans Hotel Group in 1996 and renamed Mondrian Hotel Los Angeles. In 2008, Morgans Hotel Group commissioned designer Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz to update the hotel.
In April 2011, Morgans Hotel Group reached a deal to sell the Mondrian Los Angeles to Pebblebrook Hotel Trust for $137 million. Morgans Hotel Group will continue to manage the hotel under a 20-year agreement.
Mondrian South Beach
Morgans Hotel Group bought the James Hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona in 2006 and converted it into the Mondrian Scottsdale. In 2010, Bank of America began foreclosure proceedings against Morgans Hotel Group, and the lender seized the property after Morgans defaulted on its loan and no bids were submitted for the hotel. The Sydell Group took over ownership upon its purchase of the property in February 2011 and assigned Joie de Vivre Hospitality to manage the hotel. The former Mondrian Scottsdale is currently branded as The Saguaro and is no longer affiliated with Morgans Hotel Group.
The Mondrian Las Vegas was included in plans for the Echelon development on the Las Vegas Strip, along with Delano Las Vegas, another Morgans Hotel Group property. Boyd Gaming suspended the construction of the Echelon in 2008 and anticipates resuming the project in 3–5 years. The project was canceled in March 2013.
In 2007, Morgans Hotel Group and M Development, a Chicago developer, entered into a joint venture to build and operate a Mondrian Hotel in the Gold Coast district of Chicago, Illinois on the site of the existing Cedar Hotel. Morgans Hotel Group would own 49% of the joint venture and would also operate the Mondrian Chicago. Although the company contributed $2.3 million to the project as of September 2008, construction has yet to commence on the property.
Mondrian Los Angeles in popular culture
On December 4, 2007, rapper Pimp C was found dead in his hotel room.
Several episodes of the HBO series Entourage were filmed on-location at the Mondrian.
In the song "Neighbours Next Door" by Dr. Dooom, he says "Lookin' out your Mondrian Hotel window, like Elvis Presley coming down the elevator."
In the Family Guy third instalment of Star Wars parody "Episode VI It's a trap", about 16:11 into the episode, the character played by Angela thanks her audience for meeting her "in the lobby of the Mondrian", drawing a comparison between the Mondrian Miami lobby's futuristic design and the interior of a Star Wars spaceship.
In the song "Places to Go" by 50 Cent, he references the hotel: "Matter of fact you gotta send it to Sunset Blvd up in the Mondrian"
- "Yaacov Agam | Park West Gallery Artist". Bio.parkwestgallery.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "About Us - Information | Morgans Hotel Group Official Site". Morganshotelgroup.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Mondrian Los Angeles announces renovation". Hotelnewsnow.com. 2008-09-04. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "UPDATE 1-Morgans Group to sell Los Angeles hotel for $137 mln". Reuters. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "SBE Entertainment Concludes Morgans Hotel Acquisition". The Wall Street Journal. December 1, 2016. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Mondrian London At Sea Containers".
- "Mondrian Doha Hotel". Morgans Group LLC. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Mondrian Park Ave Hotel". Morgans Group LLC. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- Gilbertson, Dawn (2010-03-17). "Mondrian Scottsdale now Hotel Theodore under new owners". Azcentral.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Corbett, Peter (2011-02-26). "Theodore sells for $16.25 million". Azcentral.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "About The Saguaro in Scottsdale | Joie de Vivre Hotels". Jdvhotels.com. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Boyd Gaming Breaks Ground on Echelon: Leading Hotel, Retail, and Entertainment Companies Collaborate for Echelon Development". Tishman Construction. 2006-12-31. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Boyd Gaming Corporation - Echelon". BoydGaming.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Business Wire (2007-06-04). "Morgans Hotel Group Announces New Mondrian in Chicago". Business Wire. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Morgans Hotel Group Co, Form 10-Q, Quarterly Report, Filing Date Nov 7, 2008". secdatabase.com. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- JetSetCD (2008-08-29). "Still Waiting for the Mondrian Chicago, We're Getting Antsy". HotelChatter. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Star Trek Database". Startrek.com. Retrieved 2013-11-02.