|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Angela Brown - President & CEO |
|Products||Point of sale terminals and auxiliary equipment|
Number of employees
|Parent||Royal Bank of Canada|
BMO Bank of Montreal
Moneris (formerly "Moneris Solutions") is Canada's largest financial technology company that specializes in payment processing. Moneris was established in December 2000 as a joint venture between the Royal Bank of Canada and Bank of Montreal. The company is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario and has offices in Sackville, New Brunswick, Burnaby, British Columbia, Montreal, Quebec, and Calgary, Alberta.
Moneris was first established in December 2000 as a 50/50 joint venture between RBC and BMO. It became the first Canadian appropriator to offer both Visa and Mastercard merchant accounts in one single point of contact. Moneris was also the first Canadian payment processor to use an integrated point-of-sale system, so businesses could have the proceeds from all card transactions flow into a single deposit account. After its first 1.5 years, the company reported having processed more than 2 billion transactions in Canada.
In October 2003, Moneris acquired Ernex Marketing Technologies, an industry leader in providing privately branded loyalty programs and stored-value gift cards.
In February 2004, Moneris purchased the merchant portfolio of RBC Centura to become the payment provider for all existing and new merchant accounts tied to the bank. The acquisition supported the company’s expansion into the United States with merchants located in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, and Florida.
On June 6, 2005, Moneris became the first payment processor in Canada to process an Interac Online transaction. This marked the first opportunity for Canadians to pay for goods and services purchased on the Internet directly from their bank account. Prior to Interac Online, the primary option for Canadians to pay for purchases online was through a credit card.
On June 27, 2005, Moneris processed the first full data EMV chip transaction in Canada with a VISA certified chip. This was the first card transaction in Canada that required inserting a card into a chip reader slot on the terminal, rather than use a swipe feature. On August 27, 2007, the company announced it was among the first acquirers in Canada to be certified by all of Interac, Mastercard and VISA to provide chip technology in Canada.
In April 2008, Moneris acquired Keycorp Canada, one of the largest providers of POS support services in Canada, to expand its portfolio of merchants.
In March 2013, Moneris processed the first Near Field Communication (NFC) mobile debit transaction in Canada. Using Interac Flash, Canadians could now make contactless debit transactions with their mobile device. The debut of NFC payment in Canada was performed in a McDonald’s restaurant using a Blackberry smartphone.
In November 2016, US-based payment processor Vantiv announced that it had acquired Moneris USA for $425 million USD. Vantiv (now under Fidelity National Information Services Inc.) took over all Moneris USA operations including merchant accounts and other business relationships.
In June 2014, Moneris launched Payd Pro, a point of sale (POS) solution that can run on a smartphone. The device was promoted as Canada’s first mobile POS solution to accept Interac debit and credit, as well as the first to include EMV chip and PIN and contactless payment technology. The device came in the form of a PIN pad, which connects to Moneris’ Payd app using a Bluetooth connection. Payd Pro was targeted at small businesses to accept payments from anywhere.
In April 2019, Moneris introduced Moneris Core, a proprietary software used to power its next-generation payment terminals. With Moneris Core, Moneris became the first major payment provider in Canada to provide its own propriety payment experience.
In September 2020, Moneris launched Moneris Go, using the A920 Android POS mobile terminal from PAX Technology. The mobile device accepts card and contactless payments and can integrate with third-party apps. The device was announced as the company’s first smart terminal and suitable for businesses of all sizes.
In October 2018, Moneris launched its digital analytics tool Offlinx to measure the effect digital ad spending can have on in-store purchases for retail businesses. The service is powered by a tagging mechanism that anonymously links browsing data to transactions that process through Moneris' national payment network.
Moneris processes more than 3 billion transactions a year for over 350,000 merchant locations, and employs more than 1,900 people across North America. While based in Toronto, the company has offices in Sackville, Burnaby, Montreal, and Calgary.
In 2016, Moneris began a partnership with Planet Payment, a provider of international and multi-currency payment processing services. Payment Planet’s currency conversion technology enables Moneris merchants to offer international customers the choice to pay in their home currency.
In 2018, Moneris began a partnership with Kount, an online fraud protection platform. The Moneris Kount partnership provides businesses with fraud management tools to determine valid and fraudulent orders.
In 2020, Moneris began a partnership with Bookmark, a Toronto-based web site building startup, to provide web-building tools for small businesses. Bookmark uses an artificial design assistant to assist users in designing an ecommerce website for their business.
Moneris is partnered with all major card brands in Canada, including Interac, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, and Union Pay. In 2015, Moneris announced support for Apple Pay in its contactless-capable terminals. In 2017, Moneris announced support for Google Pay.
- "Moneris - Our Executive Team". Moneris. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Sage 50 Accounting is now connected to Moneris | Sage". www.sage.com. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Moneris - Corporate History". Archived from the original on 2008-04-04. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Minister Of Finance, Mayor Of Sackville And Moneris Solutions CEO Open New Sackville Contact Centre". Archived from the original on 2007-10-10. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Moneris | Contact Us". www.moneris.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Vantiv has made a key acquisition". Business Insider. 14 November 2016. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "RBC Royal Bank - Contact Us - Merchant Card Services". www.rbcroyalbank.com. Retrieved 2020-11-03.
- "MONERIS RECORD • 07/24/2002". CardFlash® - Payment Card Industry News. 2002-07-24. Retrieved 2020-11-03.
- "Moneris Solutions Enters Gift Card Market with Ernex Acquisition • 10/29/2003". CardFlash® - Payment Card Industry News. 2003-10-29. Retrieved 2020-11-03.
- "Moneris Solutions Purchases Merchant Acquiring Portfolio from RBC Centura". www.businesswire.com. 2004-02-12. Retrieved 2020-11-03.
- "Moneris- payment processing, point of sale, debit credit card machine, pos equipment: /aboutus/mediacenter/pressreleases". web.archive.org. 2007-10-10. Retrieved 2020-11-03.
- "Moneris Solutions demonstrates Canada's first Visa certified chip transaction". Archived from the original on 2007-10-10. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Moneris Solutions delivers convenient and secure payment processing to Canadians through fully certified chip technology". Archived from the original on 2007-10-08. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Moneris Has Deal for Keycorp Canada". American Banker. 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2020-11-03.
- newsroom.interac.ca https://newsroom.interac.ca/first-interac-flash-debit-transactions-made-from-a-mobile-phone/. Retrieved 2020-11-03. Missing or empty
- "Moneris adds UnionPay to card acceptance offerings for Canadian merchants". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2020-11-03.
- Candice So. "New mobile payments solution takes both debit and credit". IT Business. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- Moneris. "Moneris introduces universal payment application on next-generation devices". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "PAX Technology and Moneris Solutions launch A920 in Canada". PRWeb. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- Simpson, Meagan. "New Moneris analytics tool shows ROI of digital marketing for brick-and-mortar stores". IT Business. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- Corporation, Moneris Solutions. "Moneris launches Offlinx™ - the first marketing analytics tool in Canada connecting digital spend to in-store sales". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Raptors' long playoff run means 'multiple millions' for Toronto | CBC News". CBC. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Business along King Street Pilot Project route saw 'slight' growth this spring, report finds | CBC News". CBC. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Tomorrow is expected to be the busiest shopping day of 2019 | News". dailyhive.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Moneris Solutions - About Us". Archived from the original on 2009-02-24. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "Planet Payment partners Moneris for multi-currency processing solutions delivery to Canadian merchants". thepaypers.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Moneris | Moneris partners with Kount to expand fraud protection services for Canadian online businesses". www.moneris.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Moneris | Moneris Invests and Partners with Bookmark to Deliver Online Business Solutions for Canadian Small Businesses". www.moneris.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Moneris | Moneris welcomes Apple Pay to Canada". www.moneris.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Moneris | Moneris Supports Android Pay in Canada". www.moneris.com. Retrieved 2020-10-23.