||This article's introduction may be too long for the length of the article. (March 2016)|
||This article should be divided into sections by topic, to make it more accessible. (March 2016)|
Compose is a private, Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS) platform for securely hosting and managing shared and dedicated MongoDB instances. Compose is used by a majority of the cloud hosting service Heroku's MongoDB users, being the only remote Mongo host for over a year.
Compose is an alumnus of the Y Combinator business incubator, Summer 2011 class.
In July 2011, Compose announced it received its first round of angel investment of $417,000 from Y Combinator, Lerer And SV Angel. Shortly thereafter, MongoHQ acquired the competing Mongo host and automated provisioning software of MongoMachines.
They were named #4 in the top "10 Enterprise Cloud App Services of 2011" by Read Write Web.
In August 2014, Compose renamed their company from MongoHQ.
In July 2015, Compose was acquired by IBM 
- MongoHQ Add-on Public Beta | Heroku Blog | Apr 30, 2010
- MongoHQ Raises $417K From Y Combinator, Lerer And SV Angel | TechCrunch | June 24, 2011
- MongoHQ Acquires MongoMachine | Y Combinator News | July 28, 2011
- Platform (PaaS) Partners | MongoHQ Partners | Jan 14, 2012
- Top 10 Enterprise Cloud Apps and Services of 2011 | Read Write Web | Dec 26, 2011
- | PR Newswire | Aug 6, 2014