Monia Ben Jemia
Monia Ben Jemia (born 1958) is a Tunisian law professor, academic, feminist and president of the Tunisian Association of Democratic Women (ATFD). Jemia is a professor of law at the University of Carthage.
Jemia reports that because she was born into a conservative family, she was immensely inspired by the feminist works of Simone Du Beauvoir as a teenager. Jemia's mother was illiterate and her family stuck to strict gender roles. She was one of the first in her family to complete advanced studies. As soon as the ATFD was created, she joined and eventually became the president of the organization. ATFD focuses on trying to curb issues of violence against women (such asof making incest easier to prosecute and adopting more humane interview tactics when interviewing children). Their secondary, though also important focus is to increase the codified rights of women who are married (increase property rights, let women also be the legal guardian of their children, etc). One of Jemia's central ideas is that the democracy in Tunisia will not move forward unless women receive more fundamental rights.
- "Monia Ben Jemia : « Les Tunisiennes ont creusé une brèche dans la citadelle patriarcale » – JeuneAfrique.com". JeuneAfrique.com (in French). 2017-10-05. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "Monia Ben Jémia élue présidente des Femmes démocrate (Album photo de l'assemblée)". Leaders (in French). Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "Monia Ben Jemia". Al HuffPost Maghreb (in French). Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- Kheder, Raouia. "Portrait de femme: Monia Ben Jemia, présidente de l'Association Tunisienne des Femmes Démocrates (ATFD) | Femmes de Tunisie". femmesdetunisie.com (in French). Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- Rights, EuroMed (2017-11-29), Combatting Violence Against Women in the Euro-Mediterranean Region (part 5), retrieved 2018-07-28
- "Droits des femmes Le doute persiste… | Réalités Online". Toutes les dernières News en Tunisie et dans le monde (in French). 2013-02-02. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "ENTRETIEN MONIA BEN JEMIA, professeur de droit à l'université de Tunis « Brandir la Tunisie comme modèle nuit aux femmes »". La Croix (in French). 2015-05-29. ISSN 0242-6056. Retrieved 2018-07-28.