1975 (age 43–44)
Monica Galetti (née Fa'afiti, born 1975) is a Samoan-born New Zealand chef and television presenter who is based in London, England. She was senior sous-chef at the prestigious Le Gavroche restaurant in London. Galetti has been a judge on the BBC competitive cooking program MasterChef: The Professionals since 2009 and has presented Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond the Lobby with Giles Coren since 2017.
Galetti was born in Samoa, and was initially raised by two aunts as her mother had moved to Auckland, New Zealand, for work. At the age of eight, Galetti moved from Samoa to Wellington, New Zealand, and lived there with her parents and five siblings. In the early 1990s, she studied for a diploma in hospitality at Central Institute of Technology, Upper Hutt.
After completing her studies, Galetti worked at Lower Hutt restaurant Timothy's. The owner sent her to cooking competitions in Australia, America and Europe, and she began to look for a position in London by sending her CV to top restaurateurs. The first offer she received was from Michel Roux Jr - a beginning position as first commis at his two-Michelin-starred restaurant Le Gavroche, well below her position in Wellington as chef de partie. However, she accepted the offer and moved to London in 1999. She worked rapidly through the sections of the kitchen and became senior sous-chef, a position she held until 2015. She was the first woman to hold such a senior position at the restaurant.
Galetti serves Samoa as its UK Tourism Ambassador.
- "Chef Monica Galetti - MasterChef Elite". www.samoafood.com. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Kiwi chef: Moving from Samoa to NZ was the saddest time of my life". New Zealand Herald. 2014-06-17. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "My Secret Life: Monica Galetti, chef, 35". The Independent. 2010-11-13. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Chef Monica Galetti on Samoa, Sean Connery, and her life in travel | Loop Samoa". www.loopsamoa.com. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- Jewell, Stephen (2011-03-26). "Monica Galetti: Kitchen mistress". New Zealand Herald. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Le Gavroche - The Team". Le-gavroche.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- Rayner, Jay (2011-01-22). "Michel Roux Jr and Monica Galetti: master and protege". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "MasterChef's Monica Galetti leaves Le Gavroche". Thecaterer.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Strictly come cooking with Masterchef's Monica Galetti". Evening Standard. 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- BBC Two - MasterChef: The Professionals - Episode guide
- "Monica Galetti to open Mere in January 2017". Thecaterer.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Chef live chat: Monica Galetti". The Guardian. 2012-10-16. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "The Team". Le Gavroche. Retrieved 2016-12-08.