|Labels||Owl, Whaling City Sound|
|Alma mater||Indiana University|
|Thesis||Elements of jazz piano pedagogy: A content analysis (1997)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Baker|
Monika Herzig (born 1964) is a German-born jazz pianist.
After receiving a scholarship in 1987 from the pedagogical institute in Weingarten, Germany for a one-year exchange program at the University of Alabama, she moved to the United States in August 1988. Later, she completed her Doctorate in Music Education with a minor in Jazz Studies at Indiana University, where she is a faculty member in Arts Administration.
She recorded with the jazz fusion group BeebleBrox and has produced four albums as leader of the Monika Herzig Acoustic Project. Peace on Earth was released locally in Indianapolis in 2008 and was released nationally in 2009 on the Owl Studios label.
Awards and honors
- 1994 Best Original Composition, "Let's Fool One" Down Beat
- 1994–1996 Two times finalist with BeebleBrox, winner with Oliver Nelson Jr., WTPI Winter Jazzfest Competition, Indianapolis
- 2000, 2003, 2005 Individual Artist Grant recipient, Indiana Arts Commission
- Melody without Words (Acme, 2000)
- Melody with Harmony (Acme, 2003)
- In Your Own Sweet Voice (Owl, 2005)
- What Have You Gone and Done? (Owl, 2007)
- Peace on Earth, (Owl, 2009)
- Come with Me (Owl, 2011)
- Whole World in Her Hands (Whaling City Sound, 2016)
- Sheroes (Whaling City Sound, 2018)
- Herzig, Monika (1997). Elements of jazz piano pedagogy: A content analysis (D.Mus.Ed.). Indiana University. OCLC 224000465 – via ProQuest.
- Harvey, Jay. "Pianist Monika Herzig works to promote women in jazz" (PDF). Indiana University. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "Owl Studios Catalog". Owl Studios. 2008-11-24. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "Monika Herzig Resume" (PDF). Indiana University. Retrieved 2010-12-14.