|Genre||Financial services, FinTech, Financial technology|
|Predecessor||Subsidiary of Morse Plc, Demerged in 2007|
|Founders||Alastair Lukies; Steve Atkinson|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
|London; San Francisco; Turkey; Cardiff|
|Worldwide (principal markets)|
|Lee Cameron - CEO|
|Products||FINkit - Financial services digital innovation platform|
|Revenue||£40m, to May 2016|
|Owner||Visa Inc 5% shareholder, Norway's Norges Bank, 3i Group Alastair Lukies & public shareholders|
Number of employees
The company listed on the London Stock Exchange's AIM in June 2007. Monitise was named as one of the UK's top 15 fastest growing technology businesses in Deloitte's 2011, 2012 and 2013 Technology Fast 50, and was ranked 3rd in Forbes Most Innovative Growth Companies 2014, making it the highest ranking UK business. In 2016 the company reported heavy losses. Shares in Monitise were down 96 per cent since 2014.
On 9 September 2015, Lee Cameron was appointed as CEO.
Monitise was founded in 2003 by Alastair Lukies and Steven Atkinson, former head of policy at Vodafone. Securing investment for Monitise proved difficult initially until in 2006, the company became part of Morse Plc. During this period that Monitise built a mobile banking, payments and commerce ecosystem.
In 2006 Monitise announced a joint venture with LINK, provider of the UK’s ATM network, to develop mobile banking. In October 2006, HSBC and First Direct launched MONILINK, a mobile banking service developed jointly by Monitise and LINK. It offered customers 24-hour access to banking services via their mobile phone, including mini-statements and balance enquiries.
De-merger with Morse
In September 2007, Monitise launched Monitise Americas, a joint venture with Metavante Corporation, a provider of banking and payments technologies to global financial institutions and businesses. To create a mobile banking and payments ecosystem tailored for the North American market, Monitise Americas engineered its platform in order to “deliver a service that is universal in terms of security, access and navigation regardless of the consumer's choice of financial institution or mobile carrier".
On 30 June 2009, Monitise announced that it had entered into a global alliance agreement with Visa International, a subsidiary of Visa Inc., the world's largest retail electronic payments network. Monitise would work as a partner for Visa’s mobile services. These included mobile payments, money transfer, transaction alerts and marketing offers.
In 2011, Monitise signed a partnership agreement with Visa Europe to develop and supply mobile payments services for Visa Europe’s member banks and financial institutions across Europe.
Further expansion in 2011 included the creation of a technology and R&D hub in Cardiff, Wales.
On 26 March 2012, Monitise announced its acquisition of Clairmail, the largest third-party for mobile banking solutions in the U.S. At the time of the acquisition, Monitise and Clairmail had 13 million registered consumers across four continents.
Later in 2012, in June and July respectively, Monitise announced partnerships with HSBC and The Co-operative Bank. The three-year mobile banking deal with The Co-operative Bank allows customers to check their balances, access mini statements, and find branches and cashpoints. The HSBC partnership saw Monitise provide support for HSBC’s mobile Fast Balance app.
In March 2013, Monitise extended its partnership with VISA Europe in a three-year partnership deal. The deal, which enables VISA Europe to license all of Monitise’s mobile money technology,covering three product areas: Bank Anywhere, Pay Anyone and Buy Anything.
In September 2013 Monitise acquired London-based mobile innovation and design agency Grapple Mobile Ltd, which became known as Monitise Create. Later that month, Monitise announced an alliance with IBM’s Smarter Commerce initiative to help extend its mobile banking services to VISA Europe.
That year, Monitise was listed in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 for third year running, with a 2,319% growth rate.
In February 2014, Monitise acquired Istanbul-based mobile technology specialist Pozitron, listed as one of the top 10 fastest growing businesses in Turkey by Deloitte. It has since announced partnerships and services with Abu Dhabi-based First Gulf Bank, Yapi Kredi Bank and İşbank in Turkey .
In March 2014, Monitise and MasterCard announced a commercial agreement to accelerate the development and deployment of mobile wallets and digital payment solutions by financial institutions worldwide. MasterCard also took a minority stake in Monitise as part of a £109million share-placing.
In June 2014, Monitise acquired Markco Media’s leading retailer offers, content and discount network, which includes the MyVoucherCodes brand. The acquisition augmented Monitise’s Buy Anything mobile commerce product offerings by connecting to a global network of 60,000 brands and retailers.
In 2015 Monitise announced that revenue declined 6% to £89.7m (FY 2014: £95.1m), changes to the board and progress on transition to cloud. Elizabeth Buse stepped down as CEO and from the Board, on 9 September 2015, and deputy CEO and Chief Commercial Officer Lee Cameron was appointed Monitise's new CEO.
In 2016 the company reported heavy losses. Shares in Monitise were down 96 per cent over the past two years. At the start of 2014 its market cap exceeded £1bn, but by May 2016, its market cap had dropped to £66m. An unsuccessful attempt to sell the company's voucher business and management turnover contributed to the decline. 
Monitise has both an Executive team and a Board of directors.
Lee Cameron – Chief Executive Officer
Gavin James - Chief Operating Officer
Will Jones – Managing Director, Monitise
Nick Cheetham – Managing Director, FINkit
Fatih Isbecer – President, Americas
Firat Isbecer – Managing Director, MEA
Scott Ewings – Managing Director, Big Radical
Chris Reilly – Managing Director, Content
Tom Spurgeon - Company Secretary
Peter Ayliffe – Chairman and Non-Executive Director
Amanda Burton – Senior Independent Non-Executive Director
Tim Wade – Independent Non-Executive Director
Lee Cameron – Chief Executive Officer
Gavin James – Chief Operating Officer
- ,"Visa invests more in Monitse". Reuters. 24 August 2012.
- Torney, Chris (15 February 2013). "Monitise: the story of a UK mid-market champion".
- "Contact Us | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Monitise FINkit". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "AIM Placing, 22p a share". Finextra. 25 June 2007.
- "Monitise in 2013 Deloitte Technology Fast 50 for third year running | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Monitise on the Forbes Most Innovative Growth Companies List". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Monitise announces 2015 results, board changes and progress on transition to cloud | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Fiserv Completes Acquisition of Monitise plc". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Rugby star turned super-unicorn hopeful: Monitise boss Alastair Lukies". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "FE Investegate |Morse PLC Announcements | Morse PLC: Proposed Demerger of Monitise". www.investegate.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Innovate Finance - Monitise". www.innovatefinance.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Banco Santander and Monitise to launch a fintech joint venture | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "HSBC and first direct break new ground with launch of next generation mobile phone banking through MONILINK - Social Media Newsroom | first direct". www.newsroom.firstdirect.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Morse placement of Monitise shares nets £21.4 million to fund expansion". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "agitmonitise.com". www.agitmonitise.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Monitise seals $13 mln mobile money deal with Visa". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Mobile banking firm Monitise's 40 new jobs in Nantgarw". BBC News. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Monitise plc: Acquisition of Clairmail Inc". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Rooney, Ben. "Monitise Buys U.S.-Based Clairmail". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Mobile Money Gets Another Boost As Monitise Closes Clairmail Acquisition « Visa's Blog – Visa Viewpoints". www.visa.com. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "LSE:MONI: Monitise and HSBC launch Fast Balance". Interactive Investor. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Monitise signs deal with Co-operative for banking app". Mobile News Online. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Visa Inks $59M+ Deal To Extend Mobile Money Partnership With Monitise In Europe". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Monitise acquires Grapple Mobile Ltd | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Monitise in 2013 Deloitte Technology Fast 50 for third year running | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Monitise targets Turkish mobile money » Banking Technology". www.bankingtech.com. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "MasterCard and Monitise Partner to Deliver Digital Payment Services". MasterCard Social Newsroom. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- O'Hear, Steve. "Monitise Acquires Markco Media For Up To £55M, Includes MyVoucherCodes And Last Second Tickets". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Monitise losses widen - CEO steps down - Payments Cards & Mobile". 2015-09-09. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Monitise announces 2015 results, board changes and progress on transition to cloud | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- Fedor, Lauren (May 31, 2016). "Monitise drops plans to sell voucher business". Financial Times.
- "Group | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "Group | Monitise". www.monitise.com. Retrieved 2016-08-02.