Monkeys, Go Home!
|Monkeys, Go Home!|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Andrew V. McLaglen|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Screenplay by||Maurice Tombragel|
|Music by||Robert F. Brunner|
|Cinematography||William E. Snyder|
|Edited by||Marsh Hendry|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
|Box office||$3,000,000 (US/ Canada)|
Monkeys, Go Home! is a 1967 American comedy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and directed by Andrew V. McLaglen. The movie stars Maurice Chevalier and Yvette Mimieux. Dean Jones plays Hank Dussard, the new owner of an olive grove, who brings in chimp labor, upsetting the other workers. Hank eventually gains the town's confidence with the kind aid of Father Sylvain and his neighbor Maria Riserau.
Released on February 8, 1967, this was the first feature-length film released by Walt Disney Productions since the founder's death nearly two months earlier.
- Maurice Chevalier as Father Sylvain
- Dean Jones as Hank Dussard
- Yvette Mimieux as Maria Riserau
- Bernard Woringer as Marcel Cartucci
- Clément Harari as Emile Paurilis
- Yvonne Constant as Yolande Angelli
- Marcel Hillaire as Mayor Gaston Lou
- Jules Munshin as Monsieur Piastillio
- Alan Carney as Grocer
- Maurice Marsac as Fontanino
- Darleen Carr as Sidoni Riserau
Vincent Canby of The New York Times called it "another of those bland little confections turned out regularly by the Disney studio." Arthur D. Murphy of Variety declared it "an amusing comedy-romance" with "the usual professional Disney blend of children, animals, humor and charm." Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times called it "a typical Disney family film ... Sophisticates, stay home." The Monthly Film Bulletin wrote, "Olive farming certainly provides an unusual background, but otherwise all is innocuous, extrovertly cheerful and good-humoured—and very dull."
- "Monkeys, Go Home! - Details". AFI Catalog of Feature Films. American Film Institute. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- "Big Rental Films of 1967", Variety, 3 January 1968 p 25. Please note these figures refer to rentals accruing to the distributors.
- "Monkeys, Go Home! (1966) - Andrew V. McLaglen - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- Canby, Vincent (March 30, 1967). "4 Chimps and a Tarzan Share Double Bill". The New York Times. 55.
- Murphy, Arthur D. (January 25, 1967). "Film Reviews: Monkeys, Go Home". Variety. 6.
- Thomas, Kevin (February 23, 1967). "'Monkeys, Go Home!' Typical Disney Film". Los Angeles Times. Part II, p. 11.
- "Monkeys, Go Home!". The Monthly Film Bulletin. 34 (402): 107. July 1967.