Monkokehampton post office
|Area||4.6258 km2 (1.7860 sq mi)|
|Population||139 (2011 census)|
|• Density||30/km2 (78/sq mi)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Monkokehampton is a village and civil parish on the River Okement, about 3 miles east north east of Hatherleigh railway station, in the West Devon district, in the county of Devon, England. In 2011 the parish had a population of 139. The parish touches Iddesleigh, Hatherleigh, Exbourne and Broadwoodkelly. Alternative names for Monkokehampton are "Monk Okehampton", "Okehampton" and "Okehampton Monk".
There are 16 listed buildings in Monkokehampton.
Monkokehampton was recorded in the Domesday Book as Monuchementone/Monacochamentona. Monk Okehampton once belonged to Glastonbury Abbey. The parish was historically in the Black Torrington hundred. On the 25th of March 1885 Barntown, Upcott, and Lewersland were transferred from the parish of Monk Okehampton to the parish of Broadwood Kelly. The transferred area contained 2 houses in 1891.
- "History of Monk Okehampton in West Devon". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Monkokehampton Parish". Noims. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Monkokehampton". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "History of Monk Okehampton in West Devon Place names". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Listed Buildings in Monkokehampton, West Devon, Devon". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Devonshire M-R". The Domesday Book Online. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- Eilert Ekwall. The concise Oxford dictionary of English place-names. Clarendon Press, 1960. p. 348. ISBN 0198691033. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "The Hundreds of Devon". GENUKI. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Relationships and Changes Monk Okehampton AP/CP through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Monkokehampton.|
|This Devon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|