|152 Lanes Mill Road
Howell, NJ 07731
|Director||J. Nicholas Whelan|
|Faculty||20.5 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||PK - 12|
|Enrollment||89 (plus 4 in preK, as of 2009-10)|
|Student to teacher ratio||4.3|
Monmouth Academy was a university preparatory, nonsectarian, coeducational day school located in Howell Township, New Jersey, United States, serving students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. Founded in 1973 by Lois Hirshkowitz, Monmouth Academy was formerly known as Lakewood Prep School. The school offered small classes, but an extensive offering of Advanced Placement courses, Mandarin Chinese and art classes taught by professional artists.
Monmouth Academy was overseen by the New Jersey Department of Education and is a member of the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools. The school had been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1995.
The school was closed in 2011.
- Backgammon & Chess
- Craft Club
- Community Service
- Student Council
On January 19, 2008, Monmouth Academy was featured on the Cablevision quiz show, The Challenge. They defeated Eastern Christian High School of North Haledon, NJ and moved on to Round Two being taped at the end of February. On April 12, 2008, Monmouth Academy was once again featured on the Cablevision quiz show, The Challenge. They defeated Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan in a tie-breaker round and moved on to Round Three, taped in February and aired in May. On May 17, 2008, Monmouth Academy defeated Old Bridge High School in their third round match on The Challenge, placing them in the state semi-finals. On May 24, 2008, Monmouth Academy lost to Bergen County Academies in the semi-final round of The Challenge for New Jersey.
- Paul Wesley (born 1982), actor known for his role as Stefan Salvatore in The CW TV series The Vampire Diaries.
- Administration, Monmouth Academy. Accessed June 29, 2011.
- Monmouth Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed June 29, 2011.
- About Us, Monmouth Academy. Accessed June 29, 2011.
- Martin, Patti. "Perhaps one of Howell's best kept secrets", Asbury Park Press, January 27, 2010. Accessed Jun 29, 2011. "And then there's the school's most famous graduate - actor Paul Wesley, who's starring on The CW's Vampire Diaries, which airs Thursdays."
- School Search . Accessed July 29, 2008.
- Monmouth Academy, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed June 29, 2011.
- "Howell school advances in 'The Challenge'", News Transcript, May 21, 2008. Accessed July 21, 2008.