|Subsidiary of Nintendo|
|Founded||October 1, 1999|
Baten Kaitos series
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Number of employees
|123 (as of May 2014)|
Monolith Soft, Inc. (株式会社モノリスソフト Kabushiki-Gaisha Monorisu Sofuto?) is a Japanese video game development studio and a subsidary of Nintendo. Monolith Soft has created video games for the PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Wii, Nintendo DS, and cell phones. The company currently has two main studios, its Tokyo headquarters and a recently opened studio in Kyoto.
Monolith Soft is usually associated with Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and Baten Kaitos Origins, a series of role-playing video games on the Nintendo GameCube, the Xeno series, including Xenoblade Chronicles, a critically acclaimed role-playing video game for the Wii, and the Xenosaga series, a series of role-playing video games on PlayStation 2. A majority of Monolith Soft's staff are former employees of Square Co., who transferred to the new company shortly after the creation of Chrono Cross. They were previously involved with the production of Xenogears, to which the Xenosaga and Xenoblade series are considered[by whom?] spiritual successors.
The company was founded on October 1, 1999 by producer Hirohide Sugiura and director Tetsuya Takahashi after they left Square and accepted an investment from Namco. As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Bandai Namco Holdings sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007. Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo.
The company announced on July 8, 2011 that they were opening up an additional studio in Kyoto, Japan, which had around 30 employees by July 2013. They are currently co-developing games for both the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS.
List of games developed
Tokyo Software Development Studio
Kyoto Software Development Studio
|Animal Crossing: New Leaf||Nintendo||Nintendo 3DS||2012||Development co-operation for Nintendo EAD Group No. 2|
|Pikmin 3||Nintendo||Wii U||2013||Development co-operation for Nintendo EAD Group No. 4|
|The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds||Nintendo||Nintendo 3DS||2013||Development co-operation for Nintendo EAD Group No. 3|
|Splatoon||Nintendo||Wii U||2015||Development co-operation for Nintendo EAD Group No. 2|
- "会社情報 | 株式会社モノリスソフト". http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/ (in Japanese). Monolith Soft. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Cubed³ staff (2006-08-03). "Monolith Soft on Nintendo Wii Support, Baten Kaitos II & More". Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- IGNWii (2007-04-27). "Nintendo Acquires Xenosaga Developer". Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- "Monolith Soft Kyoto Studio - work details, Animal Crossing: New Leaf involvement". Go Nintendo. July 3, 2013. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- North, Dale (September 13, 2012). "Xenoblade devs Monolith Soft are developing a Wii U game". Destructoid. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Goergen, Andy (February 23, 2012). "Monolith Soft Recruiting For 3DS Development". Nintendo World Report. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- . Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation 2) Credits.
- 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズX まとめwiki – スタッフ・声優