Monozukuri, or alternatively spelled Monodzukuri, literally means 'production' or 'making of things' in Japanese and is the Japanese term for 'manufacturing'. The broader meaning encompasses a synthesis of technological prowess, know-how and spirit of Japan's manufacturing practices. The spirit includes a sincere attitude towards production with pride, skill and dedication and the pursuit of innovation and perfection. It is currently a buzzword in Japan and many Japanese people believe that monozukuri has led Japan to a dominant position in the world market.
The Japanese word monozukuri (ものづくり) is a combination of 'mono' meaning thing and 'zukuri' meaning the act of making. It simply means craftsmanship or manufacturing and has come to be used as a buzzword in industry and mass media to embody the Japanese spirit and history of manufacturing. It is a word of Japanese origin and has only recently, since the latter half of the 1990s, come to mean manufacturing and production. Its usage was popularized after the promulgation of the Basic Act on the Promotion of Core Manufacturing Technology on March 19, 1999.
Basic Act on the Promotion of Core Manufacturing Technology
The Basic Act on the Promotion of Core Manufacturing Technology Act No. 2 was established on March 19, 1999, to support the development of the manufacturing industry. Due to changes in employment structure, industrialization overseas, and changes in the economy, the share of the manufacturing industry in Japan's GDP fell in the 1990s.
Article 9 The government shall formulate a basic plan on the promotion of core manufacturing technology (hereinafter referred to as the "basic plan on core manufacturing technology" in this Article) in order to drive forward measures on the promotion of core manufacturing technology in a comprehensive and organized manner.
(2) The basic plan on core manufacturing technology shall provide for the following matters:
(i) Basic policy on the promotion of core manufacturing technology
(ii) Matters concerning research and development of core manufacturing technology
(iii) Matters concerning the securing of manufacturing workers and the improvement of their abilities
(iv) Matters concerning the development of the core manufacturing industry
(v) Matters concerning the promotion of learning pertaining to core manufacturing technology
(vi) Any other matter that is necessary with regard to the promotion of core manufacturing technology
- Just-in-time manufacturing
- Toyota Production System
- Lean manufacturing
- Kaizen (continuous improvement)
- The full text of Article 9 in Japanese:
第九条 政府は、ものづくり基盤技術の振興に関する施策の総合的かつ計画的な推進を図るため、ものづくり基盤技術の振興に関する基本的な計画（以下この条において「ものづくり基盤技術基本計画」という。）を策定しなければならない。 ２ ものづくり基盤技術基本計画は、次の事項について定める。
- Babu, Venkatesha (April 24, 2016). "Japan's Culture of Craftsmanship". Business Today. Living Media India Limited. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Tanaka, Hiroshi (2017). "Where Has The Japanese Core Of "Monodzukuri" Come From, And Where Is It Going?" (PDF). Romanian Economic Business Review. 12 (2): 57–71. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- Basic Act on the Promotion of Core Manufacturing Technology (Report). March 19, 1999. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- "Basic Act on the Promotion of Core Manufacturing Technology".
- http://elaws.e-gov.go.jp/search/elawsSearch/elaws_search/lsg0500/detail?lawId=411AC1000000002&openerCode=1 ものづくり基盤技術振興基本法