Monroe Township, Guernsey County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Guernsey County, Ohio|
Woodland scene on County Road 851
Location of Monroe Township in Guernsey County
|• Total||25.1 sq mi (65.1 km2)|
|• Land||25.0 sq mi (64.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,017 ft (310 m)|
|• Density||30/sq mi (11.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086187|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township, Tuscarawas County - north
- Perry Township, Tuscarawas County - northeast
- Washington Township - east
- Madison Township - southeast corner
- Jefferson Township - south
- Liberty Township - southwest
- Wheeling Township - west
- Oxford Township, Tuscarawas County - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Monroe township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Guernsey County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Sarchet, Cyrus Parkinson Beatty (1911). History of Guernsey County, Ohio, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen & Company. p. 320.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.