Monroe Township, Miami County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Miami County, Ohio|
Countryside in northern Monroe Township
Location of Monroe Township in Miami County
|• Total||30.8 sq mi (79.7 km2)|
|• Land||30.6 sq mi (79.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||902 ft (275 m)|
|• Density||501.3/sq mi (193.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086639|
Monroe Township is one of the twelve townships of Miami County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 15,339 people in the township, 6,118 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Concord Township - north
- Staunton Township - northeast
- Bethel Township - southeast
- Vandalia - south
- Butler Township, Montgomery County - southwest
- Union Township - west
The city of Tipp City is located in eastern Monroe Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Miami County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.