Monroe Township, Putnam County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Putnam County, Ohio|
Former Methodist church at Hartsburg
Location of Monroe Township in Putnam County
|• Total||35.9 sq mi (92.9 km2)|
|• Land||35.9 sq mi (92.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||715 ft (218 m)|
|• Density||62.3/sq mi (24.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086862|
Monroe Township is one of the fifteen townships of Putnam County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,234 people in the township, 1,046 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Highland Township, Defiance County - north
- Pleasant Township, Henry County - northeast corner
- Palmer Township - east
- Greensburg Township - southeast corner
- Perry Township - south
- Brown Township, Paulding County - west
- Auglaize Township, Paulding County - northwest corner
The village of Continental is located in southern Monroe Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Putnam County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Warren, Robert (May 31, 1953). "Blanchard River Brought Pioneers To Putnam". Toledo Blade. p. 3. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.