Monster (Paramore song)
|Single by Paramore|
|from the album Transformers: Dark of the Moon – The Album and Singles Club|
|Released||June 7, 2011|
|Genre||Alternative rock, pop punk|
|Label||Fueled by Ramen, Warner|
|Writer(s)||Hayley Williams, Taylor York|
|Producer(s)||Rob Cavallo, Paramore|
|Paramore singles chronology|
"Monster" is a song by American alternative rock band Paramore. It was released on June 7, 2011 for digital download. It is also the second single from the Transformers: Dark of the Moon OST, which was released on June 14, 2011. It is the first song to not feature former band members Josh and Zac Farro, who separated from the band in 2010.
A sneak peek of the song surfaced when lead singer Hayley Williams posted lyrics on the band's Official Fan Club. An audio video for the song was posted on YouTube on June 2, 2011. The video itself achieved over 1 million views in the first three days of posting. The song won Best Rock Track at the 2011 Teen Choice Awards.
Taylor York performed the drum parts for the track.
Composition and release
James Montgomery of MTV, noted the number of times that the word "you" is used in the lyrics of "Monster" because of its subjectivity. He suggested that the song is about the former members of the group Josh Farro, since he and his brother Zac Farro left the band in 2010 and is the first track without them. According to Jon Blistein of Billboard, the song has elements of grunge, such as loud-soft dynamics, big vocals, and loud, crunchy guitars.
Around the release of "Monster," Williams commented on the track: "We're back for the attack! And we are so excited to be a part of the Transformers album. Tell your friends… Paramore is still a band."  A video companion to "Monster" was recorded in Los Angeles and was uploaded to YouTube on July 18 . The single cover was described by Becky Bain, as containing the three members of Paramore, Hayley Williams, Jeremy Davis and Taylor York, standing in a dark tunnel where a light at the end faces the band.
The music video was directed by Shane Drake, who has directed some of Paramore's previous music videos. On July 15, the band's official website posted a video via YouTube of a 19 second clip previewing the music video. It was premiered on MTV.com July 18 at 12:00 Midnight and at 6am on MTV 2.
The video opens with Hayley, Taylor and Jeremy unconscious and floating on water. Hayley opens her eyes and begins to sing as the video cuts to the band performing in a concrete room while kicking and punching the wall. Another scene shows each of the band members alone and Hayley wandering through an abandoned hospital building. The kicking and punching from the band performing causes violent explosions around the members and all three proceed to run away. The three eventually meet up in a foyer and continue running away together before ducking into the concrete room in which they were performing earlier.
The video was shot in an abandoned hospital called "Linda Vista" in Los Angeles, California. Linda Vista Hospital is known for its many appearances on ghost-hunting television shows. According to Hayley Williams "It was not just good acting, it was fear. Genuine fear."
Its first appearance was week 24/2011 in the UK Singles Top 75 and New Zealand Top 40. Its peak position was number 21, on the UK Singles Top 75, it stayed there for 1 week, and 23 in New Zealand Top 40. "Monster" also debuted and peaked at #36 on the Billboard Hot 100.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||55|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||23|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||13|
|UK Rock Chart (Official Charts Company)||22|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||21|
|US Billboard Hot 100||36|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||23|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||38|
- fueledbyadam (May 26, 2011). "Listen To A Clip Of 'Monster'". Paramore.net. Fueled by Ramen. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- Paramore (Music) (June 2, 2011). Paramore: Monster (Audio) (Music video). Fueled by Ramen. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "Transformers: Dark of the Moon Official Soundtrack & Score". Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Paramount Pictures. 2011. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- Posted 1/7/11 (2011-06-03). "Paramore Roar Back With New Single, 'Monster' - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Paramore Drops New Single 'Monster': Listen". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Paramore debut new track 'Monster' from 'Transformers' soundtrack - audio | News". Nme.Com. 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Posted 1/7/11 (2011-05-24). "Paramore Return On 'Transformers' Soundtrack With New Song, Video - MTV Movie News". MTV. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Paramore Lurk In The Shadows Of Their "Monster" Single Cover Art | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Paramore - Monster - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Adele 'Rolling' Along Atop Hot 100, Jason Aldean & Nicki Minaj Reach Top 10". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Paramore Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Paramore. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – Paramore – Monster". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- "Paramore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Paramore. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- "Paramore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Alternative Songs for Paramore. Retrieved June 26, 2011.